How r ur peppers going in Perth west oz?

Any of you guys pickle your chillies? I've been looking for brining salt everywhere and can't find any, what could I use instead? Maybe white wine vinegar or similar? I was thinking that would be too bitter though?

I think brining salt just has none of the anti caking agents that normal salt has. It can make the pickle cloudy I think...

Interesting discovery here, today.

Last season I grew a purple capsicum from Bunnings. It died over winter so I took the seeds from the few small capsis that I got and started off some new seedlings to get a new plant. It grew quickly and was one of my first plants to pod. I didnt have the heart to cut off the first pod so the plant has stunted somewhat.

Nevertheless, today I harvested my first capsicum - about the size of a Jonathan apple.

I cut it open, took a sniff.

Smelt like the small purple capsicums I tried and enjoyed last season.

Took a bite...

Tasted like the small purp.......................... BURNNNNNNNNN!

I think I have a hybrid on my hands. I was pretty careless with the "paintbrush pollination". The other parent is most likely either a Jalapeno or a Cheiro Goias.

Needless to say I'm keeping the seeds.

So people were mentioning "getting through" the hottest time of year....

This time last year my plants were very small so I suppose I didn't have to encounter this, but it is giving me a lot of stress right now.

Every new day brings more crisped leaves, leaf drop, and blossom drop. The wind has been ferocious for a couple of weeks and isn't helping.

I'm wary of overwatering, but I feel as though they need water every day.

SOme of my health new seedlings from this season are almost bare. :(

Nemspy, you are not alone in this... sounds similar to my grow.  One of my healthiest Butch Ts suddenly lost all leaves in the space of 1.5 days.  It was a stick for 2-3 days, but is now slowly getting new growth, which looks ok.  So I am completely baffled.  

I have harvested one Fatali pod so far this season from 15 super hot plants.  I have 5 Jonah pods which look like they will make it, but apart from that I'm just wondering if my plant will make it to the autumn.

I'm watering 2 times a week, but I think in the 35+ days I will go back to daily watering.

Hang in there.

I think my problem is the wind right now. When I moved in early january last year I remember having a hell of a time for the first month or so with scorch but then I stopped noticing. Does anyone with more experience or who pays attention know if winds begin to ease off in the coming months?

So here are the photos of my grow that has made it this far...

First photo from left to right: Douglah (being attacked by Apids), Butch T (growth stalled for last 2-3 weeks - no sign of any new flowers), Peters Penis (recently moved here to recover from a wind bashing), Habanero (stalled and flower drops)
6_zps00dff4b4.jpg

Second photo from front to back: Ghost chilli in the ground and front pot, Jonah in the middle, two stunted Fatali (all energy appears to be going into the 3 pods I have let grow)
4_zpsda44f9c4.jpg

Third photo from front left clockwise (my healthiest looking plants): Moruga Scorpion, Douglah, Trinidad Cardi Yellow, Choc Habanero. 
5_zps02732488.jpg

Fourth photo: Jonah pods on the turn :)
2_zps53f3c697.jpg

Fifth photo: New growth on the Butch-T that lost all its leaves over 1.5 days to some sort of shock / deficiency (or something?), but is putting out new growth in the cooler weather :)
3_zps01ca6cb1.jpg

Lastly, my first ever harvested pod (other than the varieties I've grown that you can buy in Woolies - e.g. habanaeros, cayenne, jalapeno, mexi-belle, etc.)
1_zps5fe27c85.jpg

Also posted a topic about the kind of damage I am getting on my leaves called "Leaf Damage Diagnosis Required" so some local input from you guys also greatly appreciated there if you have time, link:

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/45169-leaf-damage-diagnosis-required/

Rainy.

I left a comment on the other thread.

But short answer based on these photos is - pots suck.  I have nothing but issues with my larger plants in pots, whereas the ones in raised beds and under shadecloth and absolutely killing it. 

It is hard to see in the photo but is that one in the ground, is that a raised bed?  and what soil is in there?

megamoo said:
It is hard to see in the photo but is that one in the ground, is that a raised bed?  and what soil is in there?

Its not a raised bed, just dug out holes filled with the same potting mix.  I'll be raising it slightly when I transfer these into the ground though.

nemspy said:
YEah, if you've got a garden I'd put some in the ground. I've got no choice here, unfortunately :(

I liked the idea of pots as I could move them during the heat waves - which worked very well and I found the pots did better at first to the ground (I lost a few in the ground (only one survived), but not they are struggling in the pots.

I will be transplanting to ground and copper spraying them next weekend as I'm taking a punt that the extreme heat will have passed for another year.  

Thanks for tips guys.

I would be cautious with the extreme heat punt. Bare in Mind February and March are historically the hottest months of the year in Perth.

Hey Dudes and Dudettes!  Waaaaaaaaaay off topic here but seeing as all of you are here.........

I am looking for peeps to swap seed with.  A bit difficult with the N Hemisphere bunch as their season starts now and the seeds are kinda out of sync.  So if you all keen let's get a-swapping.  Errrrrmmm seeds that is.  Check out my Grow List in my profile and let me know what ya want and we get going.

Cheers

Some serious scorch today - really bummed about it all.

To cap it all off my Wildfire "Douglah" looks pretty damn RED to me for a chocolate 7. :(

Nemspy - Could be a Jonah as Wildfire bought those out at the same time as the Douglahs.  Perhaps the tags were wrong, or a bit of cross-pollination?

So jealous of you, David. All I've had is a handful of pods. Pots and a balcony suck :(  My huge chocolate bhut seems determined to drop all its leaves. Youd think, four storeys up by the ocean, that pests wouldn't be too much of a problem; however, every piece of new growth is a mass of aphids.

FFS.

nemspy said:
So jealous of you, David. All I've had is a handful of pods. Pots and a balcony suck :(  My huge chocolate bhut seems determined to drop all its leaves. Youd think, four storeys up by the ocean, that pests wouldn't be too much of a problem; however, every piece of new growth is a mass of aphids.
FFS.
I'm not having all that much luck either! Its just my averagely hot chilies that are doing really well. Although I must say my outdoor in soil Burmese Naga is getting its act together!

This is my Aji Panca.  Tons of pods...but losing alot to the grubs..more than 50%
P1040390_zpsbbf63df9.jpg

My Burmese Naga, About five or six full size pods, and ALOT more setting now.  I'm really looking forward to these! 
P1040392_zpsd533a60e.jpg

P1040391_zpsd32b36dc.jpg

Took Moo and Nemspy's advice and moved as many plants as I could to ground (space permitting).  I only moved the plants that were not doing so well in the pots to hopefully give them a kick start for the cooler autumn months.  

I now basically have one of each variety inthe ground and one in a pot to see what happens over a season.  As this is my first proper year growing so many types, I'm taking it as a learning experience now.

The only plant that survived the last move to ground through the heat waves (Bhut Jolokia) is pumping out more foliage and has a new round of flowers that I'm hoping will set (it dropped all the last lot).  Massive aphid problem diagnosed today and I found two tiny caterpillars (so there are probably heaps more), so its got another blast of pyrethrum.  

On the plus side my Butch-T that shit itself and shed all its leave suddenly, is now coming back nicely... so that is now in the ground too. Fingers crossed.

Kept my best looking plants in pots as they seem to be ok.  Have 4 Douglah pods now, so that's exciting.  Still have highest hopes for the Choc Hab - not sure what I am so keen to try a Choc Hab?

Rainman.

Ps.  Other than Habanero and Fatali, I ate my first fresh super hot yesterday - a 7 Pot Jonah.  Was really nice, but wish it was hotter (was still packing a punch).  Hoping the Douglah are the real deal as they look meaner (more bumpy surface, etc.)

Rainman,

Sorry about your Butch T - I have three in pots on my balcony that are, somehow, doing better than most of my other plants. What did shit themselves, however, was BOTH of my purple habaneros. They, alone among all my plants, both lost ALL their leaves after looking the strongest of all for ages. Not being treated any differently.

Go figure.

you ate a 7 Pot Jonah and you wish it was hotter???
maybe it was a dud?

I took a Carolina reaper to work and chopped it out and gave it to people and ate some myself and it wasn't even as hot as a habanaro!!!! WTF! Made me look bad!
Will need to eat more pods to see if that one was a dud or weather the whole plant is a dud

Back