• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

how tall

how tall should a douglah grow?
Mine is at 6 ft!
Could it be the gallon of coffee used grounds I put on it every week?

I've had chinenses over 10ft tall but personally I don't think tallness is usually the best way to judge plant, often shorter plants are more productive than tall ones and tall ones may just have high nitrogen levels. How productive is your plant? My Douglah's are kind of short and very bushy this year, with heaps of pods

I have a plant that's 3' tall in a 10 gallon planter and only has about 10 peppers on it. Very bushy and healthy, but hardly any flowers or fruit. I recall adding coffee grounds to the soil on that plant before doing a bit of research and creating my own custom soil. I have the same variety of plant that was a grunt and was about to go into the trash, but I decided to plant it in a large 10 gallon planter with the 3' plant just to see if it would survive. Guess what about 6 weeks later the grunt had a growth spurt and made it all the way up to a full 6 inches! What's more surprising is the amount of peppers it's holding. I've counted 15 peppers all growing strong at 2" each on the grunt. The odd part is the plant is sooo small the peppers are actually growing on the soil and are pushing the branches upward. I'm about to dig out the taller plant and toss it in the trash and just let the grunt have the pot to itself!!

I ggotta fatali taht's over 2' now. Indoors. Only using window light ATM.

5" Leaves on that sucker...it's taking over. ;)

I would have to measure mine but it isn't even close to 6 ft tall. I will have to measure it tomorrow. Maybe snap some pics as well.

I restarted my indoor chilli "farm" becuse of thrips in the middle of June. The 7 plants are now in 1 gal pots, and are 10-20" tall, JalapeƱo being the smallest and Naga Morich the tallest. They are still growing well, and I hope to have the plants 2-3' tall.

POTAWIE said:
I've had chinenses over 10ft tall but personally I don't think tallness is usually the best way to judge plant, often shorter plants are more productive than tall ones and tall ones may just have high nitrogen levels. How productive is your plant? My Douglah's are kind of short and very bushy this year, with heaps of pods

I had a lot of peppers that I picked over a course of a month then all of a sudden I had a lot that needed to ripen so the flowers stopped coming. Then when I picked all of them which were around 30 the flowering began again.

pappywith4 said:
I had a lot of peppers that I picked over a course of a month then all of a sudden I had a lot that needed to ripen so the flowers stopped coming. Then when I picked all of them which were around 30 the flowering began again.

30 pods on a 10 foot plant? :shocked:

Silver_Surfer said:
30 pods on a 10 foot plant? :shocked:

my plant was at 4-5 ft when it had 30 but after I picked them we got some days of rain and mt plant is now a 6-7 ft:lol:
I don't know if it will affect the fall budding to keep growing but we will see.

My rocottos are 6 ft high but still flowering. I have one embryo pod but I reckon I'll have to try and over winter to get some ripe pods next year.:(

I just measured my Douglah and it is only 39 inches tall. My Red 7 Pod is the tallest at 44 inches.

Coffee grounds are often used as a nitrogen supplement, so its possible your plant is tall and not continually producing because of the higher nitrogen.

Back