• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

How to acclimatise?!

Greetings all from the currently very hot and humid Northern Rivers of New South Wales!

I've just bought some Bhi and Dorset seeds from the Hippy Seed Company over here.

Myself and two work colleagues would like to eat a raw one of these after I've grown and harvested them. We are looking at this time next year, after the plants have been wintered (5C at lowest outside?) indoors.

We are all chilli beginners and can just about eat Jalapenos at the moment!

What recommendations would you have to build up to the big ones?

I don't have too many chilli plants in the garden at the moment and, apart from a yellow Hab. most are immature and don't have much fruit.

My current plan is to use dried yellow Hab. to make Dhal/Lentils with, increasing the amount of Hab. used week by week. Eventually starting to chew on whole yellow Habs. Finally, the Chocolate Habs. I'm growing will provide us with a "footbridge"to the big ones.

Any comments or better ideas?

Any advice greatly accepted.

Rob.
Ballina.

It's easier than getting into shape. if you're already used to hot food, just eat the hottest thing you have around. try just a little first, and soon enough it'll go down real smooth.

When I train people for becoming chili-heads, I start them right off onto the hot stuff. They get a few drops of defcon condition ZERO Batch #3 (the best tasting natural extract around). The theroy is that if I blow their tongue out of the back of their head they will then know what hot really tastes like (thus things that they thought were hot, like Tobasco, they will go back and have and say, "This isn't hot after all."). Also, it gives them the full effects that peppers can bring (the almighty endorphin rush...what we all love). They are now hooked and can handle stuff that they couldn't before.

After that I instruct them as to which sauces to purchase and tell them to use it on EVERYTHING.

Personally, I ate and still eat peppers on everything, breakfest, lunch, dinner, snacks. That basically built my tolerance up. Hope that helps.

I'm all for the "eat the hottest thing you can find" approach. After being put in my place by the Trinidad Scorpion, I eat can sit and eat orange habs straight off the plant with nothing worse than a runny nose....

And prior to that experience, I still thought habs were pretty hot...

Wow!

So I go and eat a small quantity of Orange Hab. and then progress to larger and larger amounts without gently "breaking myself in"?

Apprehension and nerves are building if this is the case!

Regards, Rob.

grab something with both hands and hold on tight...it's gonna be a hell of a ride...

pommy said:
Wow!

So I go and eat a small quantity of Orange Hab. and then progress to larger and larger amounts without gently "breaking myself in"?

Apprehension and nerves are building if this is the case!

Regards, Rob.

The first one is the hardest....because of the anticipation. It's not so bad after that. Some on this board will tell you that habaneros aren't that hot......they are. But there are hotter peppers out there. I'll be taking the naga plunge this year myself.

Good luck.

:hell:

imaguitargod said:
Ya, Habaneros aren't that hot. :P

I rest my case. By some, I should have said Imaguitargod. It's a relative thing. If you've been snacking on bhuts, by comparison, habs aren't that hot. But just a short while ago, habs were the hottest thing going.

While tolerable.....and even enjoyable.....habs are hot. There are hotter things out there....sure....but they do have heat.

Maybe I'll be singing your tune this summer after I eat a few nagas and bhuts off of my plants :cool:

I heard passow likes to dip his bhuts in defcon zero and light them on fire before eating them.

I also heard passow uses TP made from habaneros

I also heard he has to wear asbestos underpants, or else every time he farts his pants catch fire.

I went straight to the heat when I decided to become a chilihead and munched on a Red Savina.

I consider myself a chilihead in training though because I don't go around munching on habs off the vine. However I do daily training with homemade pepper powder adding a bit more each day and expanding the types of foods I put it on. I'm in no hurry to sit down and face the mighty Bhut Jolokia but I do know some day I will.

Pommy I wish you and your mates the best of luck.

Hmmmm!

I have had skin blister (slight) from cutting a couple of kilos of chillies before.

Is there any evidence for similar blistering of the mouth/throat when eating hot chillies?

Rob.

pommy said:
Hmmmm!

I have had skin blister (slight) from cutting a couple of kilos of chillies before.

Is there any evidence for similar blistering of the mouth/throat when eating hot chillies?

Rob.

Not that i know of but it certainly would be possible i think. Yeah i know, clear as mud...

We need Armadillo to weigh in on this one...HEY DOC...YOU FINISHED MOVIN' YET????

pommy said:
Hmmmm!

Rob.

Back in '06 some one on garden web sent me dorset naga flakes and I got one stuck in the front of my teeth and couldn't figure out why my mouth wouldn't quit burning. I ended up getting what looked like a cold sore on the inside of my lip where the piece of pepper was resting. :shocked:

So i'd say yeah you can, but its not easy.

Txclosetgrower said:
I'm all for the "eat the hottest thing you can find" approach. After being put in my place by the Trinidad Scorpion, I eat can sit and eat orange habs straight off the plant with nothing worse than a runny nose....

And prior to that experience, I still thought habs were pretty hot...

What's the avg heat rating of one of those sucker? I thought that the hottest, going down, were Naga, Red Savina, then habanero varieties. Where does this Scorpion sit??

Back