• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

How to best mail some fresh pods?

I am helping out a fellow THP member by sending some fresh habs up to AK. I've never done this before. Anyone with experience in this that can give me some pointers? Would hate for a big ol' smelly package of black habs to arrive! Thanks

I am helping out a fellow THP member by sending some fresh habs up to AK. I've never done this before. Anyone with experience in this that can give me some pointers? Would hate for a big ol' smelly package of black habs to arrive! Thanks

Priority mail boxes work great. Gets them delivered fast and not smashed.

What I have done in the past, is rap the pods with a paper towel then place them in a plastic bag.

The paper towel will absorb any moisture and preserve the pods. Depending on the amount of pods, flat rate boxes are pretty cost affective.

-Peter

Have you ever seen those breathable green vegetable bags? I use those so the humidity doesn't build up.

Wash the peppers well, maybe use a bit of vinegar or vege wash.
Dry them with a paper towel and give a bit of a gentle polish.
Put them in the bag, the bag in a box, the box in the mail.

The key is to clean off any mold spores and allow them to breathe.

I've also gotten fine pods in ziplocks and pods just in the box. Fresh pods and fast shipping are probably more important than the packing, but I'm pretty sure fully sealed is not the best.

Edit: Yes, put a paper towel in there too

Excellent info folks. Thank you all very much. Someone here at work was talking dry ice. I just felt that was a bit much. I will follow the above guidlines. Thanks again

Have you ever seen those breathable green vegetable bags? I use those so the humidity doesn't build up.

Wash the peppers well, maybe use a bit of vinegar or vege wash.
Dry them with a paper towel and give a bit of a gentle polish.
Put them in the bag, the bag in a box, the box in the mail.

The key is to clean off any mold spores and allow them to breathe.

I've also gotten fine pods in ziplocks and pods just in the box. Fresh pods and fast shipping are probably more important than the packing, but I'm pretty sure fully sealed is not the best.

Edit: Yes, put a paper towel in there too

Nice to know!!

Check with the post office to determine the number of shipping days for your desired method of delivery. Depending upon exactly where in AK, the quickest may be a couple of weeks. This is an important consideration.

Second the thought on a breathable bag. You don't want condensation starting a mold on the pods before they get there. Use a veggie bag, or a CLEAN toe out of your wife's nylons, or a CLEAN sock, or even cheesecloth if you feel they must be wrapped. If I was shipping, I'd just fill the priority mail box with washed pods with a paper towel on the bottom and call it good.

I've received fresh pods from within the lower 48 in Flat Rate Priority boxes in excellent condition.

Some cushioning top and bottom is OK, but I'd not do any kind of sealed plastic bag. Breathable works. Plastic bubble wrap on the bottom and top for cushioning can help keep the pods in good shape while being bounced around; paper towel, brown paper grocery bag, veggie bag or other breathable wrap is much better than a plastic bag.

Good luck sharing the heat! Let us know how you shipped, how long it took and how things arrived. We'd appreciate the input.
SL

Thanks again for your great info. I will be sure to wash them thoroughly and wrap them in a paper towel. Then pop them into a priority box. As long as it doesn't take too long since it's way up in AK. I'll check with the P.O. first.

Dry ice would probably freeze them. When they thawed, they would be mushy.

yeah, that's the exact same thought I had. Gross.

I've received fresh pods from within the lower 48 in Flat Rate Priority boxes in excellent condition.

Some cushioning top and bottom is OK, but I'd not do any kind of sealed plastic bag. Breathable works. Plastic bubble wrap on the bottom and top for cushioning can help keep the pods in good shape while being bounced around; paper towel, brown paper grocery bag, veggie bag or other breathable wrap is much better than a plastic bag.

Good luck sharing the heat! Let us know how you shipped, how long it took and how things arrived. We'd appreciate the input.
SL
You got it! I'll be shipping really soon so I will let you all know.

I'd suggest asking TheAlaskan324 how long it took the shipment of dried pods I sent to him to reach him. I seem to recall at least 10 days, if not more. He's not in mainland AK, but an outer island, which makes a difference.

Edit: Spoke with him on chat last night, and he said he is the person you are trying to send pods to. He recalls that it took about 2-1/2 weeks to get the dried pods I sent to him. I sent them via USPS. When I talked with them about timing of various shipping methods, they indicated none were really any faster than any other to his area, which is why I sent them non-priority. Part of this has to do with the infrequency of deliveries to the island. However, the weather/time of year might have had something to do with that, too. Again, I highly recommend you check with USPS before sending fresh pods. You might consider dehydrating some as an alternative.

I'd suggest asking TheAlaskan324 how long it took the shipment of dried pods I sent to him to reach him. I seem to recall at least 10 days, if not more. He's not in mainland AK, but an outer island, which makes a difference.

Edit: Spoke with him on chat last night, and he said he is the person you are trying to send pods to. He recalls that it took about 2-1/2 weeks to get the dried pods I sent to him. I sent them via USPS. When I talked with them about timing of various shipping methods, they indicated none were really any faster than any other to his area, which is why I sent them non-priority. Part of this has to do with the infrequency of deliveries to the island. However, the weather/time of year might have had something to do with that, too. Again, I highly recommend you check with USPS before sending fresh pods. You might consider dehydrating some as an alternative.

Darn. I was worried about that. Thanks for checking it out so thoroughly for me. I have looked over the USPS info and seem to be reaching the same conclusion. I'm not sure this is going to work out. I just want TheAlaskan324 to try a real hab. You know, it's sort of a staple of the chilehead. It's like a Beatles fan not being able to hear Sgt Peppers.

LOL - that's why I suggested drying some. If you don't have a dehydrator, I can dry some and send them his way. I didn't know he hadn't ever tried a hab.

Well, he said the previous delay was due to canceled flights and that everything is going well now. So, I am going to send him some this week. One of us will let you know of their status upon arrival. I'm hoping they aren't brown and smelly when he gets it.

Back