• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

How to break a t5 fixture

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, this is going to sound odd, but here goes.

I picked up a 4x6 t5 light fixture and it wont fit where I need to install it.  Because it was a special order the store's policy is that they can't take back unless its broken.  The guy at the store actually told me to find a way to make it "not work".  But it needs to be a way that the manufacturer can't just fix it, like pulling a wire from a soldered connection.

So, does anyone know how I can break my t5 light fixture in a way that cant be easily fixed?

juanitos said:
lol this is ridiculous

I agree, but I have no other recourse with these guys.  They tell me they can special order it, but didn't tell me the constraints around the special order, like they won't ever take it back in exchange for another unit.  So this is all I've got

Maybe you should have measured the space you were going to put it in and then check the manufactures specs. I would say deal with what you have. I would venture to guess that you wouldn't like it if someone pulled that shit on you?

turbo said:

They tell me they can special order it, but didn't tell me the constraints around the special order, like they won't ever take it back in exchange for another unit.  So this is all I've got

What did you think "special order" meant?

yeah i think water damage while it's on, then just say it won't turn on anymore, i have no idea why..
make sure you have it on surge protector so it doesn't fry your house wiring somehow.
next time order from amazon,walmart =]

Yea, I know.  My mistake for not making sure my measurements were correct before ordering.  And my mistake for not being clear enough by what I meant by special order.   The store didn't have any inventory on hand and had to have to unit shipped to them from another store.  Not direct from the manufacturer.

juanitos, thanks for the useful feedback.  That's probably the best way to go.  Kind'a scary...but that'll probably work

D3monic said:
sees into future. voids warranty and is out his money. 

:rofl:

yea, knowing my luck that's what will happen

Just a thought here, but I would disassemble it and use the pieces to create the 2 or 3 bulb unit I needed or make a suitable size space for it.

Most T5 ballasts now are multi voltage and the many I install at work will even handle 480 for a while.  Most anything you do to it will be easy to repair.  Yank a wire out of a ballast will simply get you a replacement ballast.  Voiding a warranty is likely.  Why not just sell it and get your ducks in line for the next purchase?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back