How to get into the business?

I am 15 and have had a vision of owning my own nursery for a long time now. The motto would be "We've got the Seeds, We'll Sell you the Trees". Someone would come to us with a plant/tree they want grown and we/I would get the seeds and grow them to the maturity they want. Based on the time it took to grow it/materials used, I would come up with the price.

After browsing this site for a while, I came up with the idea to run it online. This would be SO much easier since I wouldn't need to rent space or something like that. Do I need any special licenses?

I was also thinking of growing pepper plants and selling seeds/powders, but I don't want chances of cross pollination and have to worry about my variety.

Thanks, guys!

trevonator said:
I was also thinking of growing pepper plants and selling seeds/powders, but I don't want chances of cross pollination and have to worry about my variety.

Well aside from distance, which would require a lot of land, you could put them in separate greenhouses. You could maybe only grow a few varieties. Find your specialty!

Most importantly, in regards to starting your own nursery, don't let anything hold you back from aiming high and achieving your dreams! Don't be scared to fail along the way. Stay on track even if you do. No one who became successful did so without failing a few times. Good luck!

trevonator said:
After browsing this site for a while, I came up with the idea to run it online. This would be SO much easier since I wouldn't need to rent space or something like that. Do I need any special licenses?

Welcome to the site Trev!  I'd imagine if you're growing plants an online presence would be in addition to the nursery - not a replacement.  You'd still need the land to grow out the things people want.  And if you've got the green thumb to do such things you can certainly be successful!  To my knowledge the only licenses you'll need are a business license from whatever municipality you operate in.  Some browsing at legal zoom will help you get an idea of the type/costs/regulations/paperwork needed to get a business off the ground. 

And PJack is totally right - don't let anything hold you back. This country needs more young entrepreneurs!

Welcome to the site Trev!  I'd imagine if you're growing plants an online presence would be in addition to the nursery - not a replacement.  You'd still need the land to grow out the things people want.  And if you've got the green thumb to do such things you can certainly be successful!  To my knowledge the only licenses you'll need are a business license from whatever municipality you operate in.  Some browsing at legal zoom will help you get an idea of the type/costs/regulations/paperwork needed to get a business off the ground. 

And PJack is totally right - don't let anything hold you back. This country needs more young entrepreneurs!
Thanks! I was planning on starting the business in my backyard and then go from there.

Well aside from distance, which would require a lot of land, you could put them in separate greenhouses. You could maybe only grow a few varieties. Find your specialty!

Most importantly, in regards to starting your own nursery, don't let anything hold you back from aiming high and achieving your dreams! Don't be scared to fail along the way. Stay on track even if you do. No one who became successful did so without failing a few times. Good luck!
Thanks, man!

Pepperjack91 said:
+5

You will need a nursery license from your states dept of agriculture.this will allow you to grow,stock,sell and most importantly move(live plants)ie ship plants,of course a resale license,business lic.,stock,and of course plant material.Just like the others have told you do not give up on your DREAM.Good luck on venture.

Surprised no one has mentioned the cost of starting a business like this, and the background in horticulture that will be critical to your success.

For one, you'll likely need to work and save $ in order to finance such a business. Hoses, pots, wheelbarrow, benches, shade cloth, greenhouses, fertilizer, pesticides, gloves, tools, water consumption, etc, etc, etc, etc.

None of it is free.

Growing plants is also very risky as it is often weather dependent and thy are living things, subject to pests, diseases, molds and bacterial infections.

I studied ag/hort for years in school and it's a daunting amount of information - if you intend to start a plant business you'd be smart to become a subject matter expert in pests & diseases of ornamental plants, plant identification and many other ag-related applied sciences.

Finally you need to have a busines plan like any other business - this includes the ability to market your plants and a supply chain to demand what you are supplying. Otherwise you'll have a bunch of plants and no sales.

Just food for thought - not trying to be pessimistic, and I concur with those who've said "follow your dreams" - but realistically speaking, it takes time, resources and expertise to run a plant business (and some folks have all of that and still fail).

Good luck.
:cheers:

Back