• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pests How to Kill Aphids Like an Extreme O.G.

LB...when you first turn them loose, they have an orgy before they eat most of the time...or at least that is what I have observed...

My ladybugs headed straight up the plants and were eating aphids in under 2 minutes. I think they got full, and did their deed in the middle of the night.

Give a try to Neemazal / Azatrol against aphids. Its a bio remedy obtained from neem and can be used as soil drench as well.
Worked great for me this year. Applied only one time as soil drench before flower set.
Also i've switched my potting mix from past year, this can be very influential imho cause some mixes come with bad surprises...

Cya

Datil

You will end up with a bacterial spot problem trying to cure your problem with water. I waited way too long to use chemicals. Set my plants back.

I try to use organics when posible, not possible with the infestation I had.

Good luck, do not wait too long.

You have to remember though that even some OMRI certified organic solutions can be toxic.
Being organic does not necessarily mean it's safe. ;)
Not saying the ones you posted are not safe I am not sure without researching it. I was just speaking in general terms.

I agree. Just like any poisonous plant you run across in the woods, its organic alright, but it will still kill you dead!

Azamax is derived from Neem, but works a heck of a lot better. No toxicity as far as I know and I did quite a bit of research on it. The good thing is that it can be used in very low concentrations and less often than Neem Oil.

Spinosad is becoming more popular, and again it can be used in low concentrations. I know it is safe around animals as it is currently being used as anti-flea/tick medication for dogs and cats.

I got fed up one time and dusted em with some Irish High Dry Toast and that did the job. Alot of people wont even go the nicotine route when it comes to chili or tomaters, but I got mad and used the snuff and it did the trick, no worries about TMV either as this snuff it toasted. Its a pitty though to waste this snuff on those darn aphids, but at least I can take a pinch and enjoy my time dusting off those pests and watching them fall of my plants.

I wonder how other beneficial insects would be that you don't hear of much on here such as the Big-eye bug, Minute Pirate bugs and Lacewing would do?

I have been wanting to try lacewings and/or pirate bugs in the greenhouse. The only issue is the price and the quantities that they are available in. Most of the suppliers I have found don't sell them in small enough batches for my little greenhouse.

I know the big commercial greenhouses do scheduled "releases" where they rotate different predators into the environment.

the cheapest I have found lacewings is around $70 for 2000 eggs, pretty pricey considering you can get 1000 lady bugs for half that.

Yeah but ladybugs migrate, lacewings stay put more or less (not strong fliers).

Both ladybugs and lacewings have come naturally to me (although late in the season as it seems neither like high heat ambients).
edit:
Next time I might try catch a few in Autumn and keep them fed and alive to breed over and over again during winter, because my aphids come out in spring and there's no lady bugs or lacewings around here then.

They do have a good price on them. I am actually pretty interested in the grasshopper bait for next year. As always, the shipping on beneficials always becomes the cost prohibitive part. $25-35 for shipping to me for the lacewings, $40 is better than $70 though.

Snapped this pic yesterday morning...a few days after the initial hydro-remedy. This was the most heavily infested plant...with aphids on the tops and bottoms. I caught this pic as the breeze gently tipped up the leaves to give me a peek under:

less aphids.jpg

I spent some time int he garden this morning, snapping pics of various insects...I'll post on those elswhere later.

I did notice up to a half dozen or more lady bugs on every plant, upon casual inspection. I also saw at least a few ladybug nymphs per plant as well...so it's looking good.

I run a commercial greenhouse and when you get infested with aphids in winter ladybugs work the best but I can see how you guys with a few pots outside try them and they do nothing.
They will fly away when you dump them on during that day and they have no food, but try laying out a roll of poly late in the afternoon and making a tent kind of structure then put the ladybugs in there!!
then if the temp is not too hot leave the tent on for a few days.

I have used all kinds of chemicals, water, soap and whatever you can think of to kill aphids but ladybugs when doen right are the cheapest, safest, best, coolest way to take out an infestation of aphids.

I run a commercial greenhouse and when you get infested with aphids in winter ladybugs work the best but I can see how you guys with a few pots outside try them and they do nothing.
They will fly away when you dump them on during that day and they have no food, but try laying out a roll of poly late in the afternoon and making a tent kind of structure then put the ladybugs in there!!
then if the temp is not too hot leave the tent on for a few days.

I have used all kinds of chemicals, water, soap and whatever you can think of to kill aphids but ladybugs when doen right are the cheapest, safest, best, coolest way to take out an infestation of aphids.

I tried ladybugs in my greenhouse last winter, no matter what I did, and even with plenty of food around for them, they all either crawled into crevices to hibernate, or they escaped through the ventilation systems. Is there some trick I am missing? I know I will have aphid issues again this winter, I always do!

I tried ladybugs in my greenhouse last winter, no matter what I did, and even with plenty of food around for them, they all either crawled into crevices to hibernate, or they escaped through the ventilation systems. Is there some trick I am missing? I know I will have aphid issues again this winter, I always do!

All I do is set them free at night and they stay on the plants during the day.
At night they go into full eating mode and do this till the infestaition is gone, but this last year the early growing season was clear of any bugs so our ladybugs stayed in the fridge till I needed them and they were all dead in the bags....
I had an aphid problem a few weeks ago that was on my outside potted plants (peppers) and I bought a bag and just dumped them on 3 days apart and they ate all the ahpids.

I am in SASK Canada so I am sure that has a bit to do with it as far as them staying in our greenhouse as early growing season is minus 20c and we open nothing.

Going on 1 week now...and no aphids of considerable concern. There are a few...but my ladybug population is in tact, and I'm seeing more lady-nymphs than adults. Seems to have worked.

In retrospect...i think I killed the vast majority of them with the sprays...and just knocked them off with the water. Although...I havent seen the return of sticky leaves...and my wasp swarm has diminished. So...something worked, damnit!

Back