• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

water How to know when to water

I know this may seem like a dumb post, but I have heard many different ways to water a plant, some say that if you stick your finger into the soil about an inch and its dry, then its time to water, others say wait as long as you can or wait till your plant starts to wilt.

Well I just potted up my plants to 1 gal containers and switch the soil to ProMix Potting Soil, and they seem to be doing great but I wonder if I should water once a week or more then once, but less water.

Once a week is usually a good standard. But regular summer showers/thunderstorms help reduce that

Edit: Once a week based on the known elements for me.... temperature, 3 gallon pots....

I'm sure in Toronto once a week would suffice. It really depends on your climate. I use large containers (15 gal +) and often am watering twice or 3 times a week to keep up with the heat.

Water when they need it. Not more often. When the leaves begin to droop and the pot feels really light then water. Going on a time frame is not a good idea because everyone on here will be different. Get a feel for how heavy the pot is when completely dry. I can go more than 2 weeks between watering right now even in 8oz cups or 10 gal pots. In the dead heat of summer I can sometimes water my big containers 2-3 times a DAY. They dry out that fast.

Setting your watering schedule by time is a recipe for disaster. The "feel" method is the best. Fill one of the containers your plants are in with dry growing medium. Feel the weight. When your containers with plants get close to feeling a similar weight then it's time to water.

Last year I found myself soaking the beds twice a week during our hot drought. Would come home from work and they would be drooping every 3 days or so, soil dried out quick. A good soaking once a week in a well drained bed worked well for most of the season though. Sub tropical Toronto, thank you global warming.

You can get a probe type moisture meter. They're NOT great , so don't trust them ... but if you're new they will give you an idea. When the meter shows dry ... pick up the pot and feel what it's weight is. Learn the feel as others have said. When you water , water enough to get some run off. That will help flush any salt build up. And it's always better to thoroughly water the plants than just pouring in a little willy nilly.

Peace & Good Luck,
P.Dreadie

If you've got the room, grow more plants than you need and experiment.

Water one group every day, 2nd group every 2nd day, 3rd every 3rd, etc.

Whichever don't die, that's the correct amount.

In my experience, it totally depends on amount of sun, temp, plant size, ect. When seedlings and sprouts I wait until the top of the potting soil dries up a bit, then soak with a mister. When in the garden, I let the plants start to wilt a bit and then do the same (a complete soak). I do this in the evenings. I do this and my plants always produce lots of beautiful, hot pods.

Back