• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

How to prevent flower drop in 90 + degree weather?

Any thoughts on the matter? My plants are growing like weeds, but my flowers are dropping like flies. Is there away to prevent the flower drop, or am I at the mercy of mother nature on this one?

Your at the mercy of mother nature. The plants will set pods I promise when the weather is right. Just have to be patient and then they will go off and produce like crazy.

Charles

i would love to give you good accurate advice, but i too have suffered from the same issue with certain varieties of chinense.

of course, there is no simple 1 answer as it appears to all be environment related. i suffer from too hot one day, followed by too cold the next. since my plants are in 1 gallon containers, the pots can get pretty hot to touch in our blistering summer sun. this year i am going to try to insulate the plants by using prefab coir baskets in the container.

humidity can play a factor, so this year, i am keeping some plants like fatalii in the house, last year i had 100% flower drop on all my fatalii - we have very arid conditions.

just do a forum search and i think some posts by member willard who has provided advice to follow.

good luck.

My plants just started to set pods and stop dropping their flowers but it's gonna be in the upper 90s the next few days, so I've been trying to figure out a way to shade them. I'm thinking about using some sheets, and hopefully this will keep them atleast a few points lower?

i would try a shade structure with some misters set up

maybe a 3/4" or 1" pvc frame with glued joints and drill and tap for mister nozzles

cover with like 70% shade cloth and run the mist at 85°F and warmer

make a small one first as the damn misters are not cheap

one could try using on of those inexpensive foggers or a cool mist humidifier. i was thinking of building a shelter around my outdoor plants covered with white shade cloth then inserting the humidifier on low to see if that improved pod setting.

Lots of water to help sustain the plants through the heat.

i would try a shade structure with some misters set up

maybe a 3/4" or 1" pvc frame with glued joints and drill and tap for mister nozzles

cover with like 70% shade cloth and run the mist at 85°F and warmer

I was under the impression that high humidity exacerbated the issue I'd considered just watering the roots and avoiding foliar spraying. Should I be wetting the foliage more? I am watering daily though, especially my container plants.

was misting for the evaporation and the moistening of the atmosphere
if you have room, time, money, and patience you can make several differing "habitats"
and see what comes out the other end

do it your way with any ideas you got, then report back with results
we all like pictures also :dance:

Or just let the plants keep growing without pods until it cools down some. Bigger plants = more pods. I'm currently plucking every flower I see. :)

My impression here is that I still get some limited fruit set all the way up into the mid-90s with most varieties. Even my bhut set some fruit already during a stretch where we touched 100F once and into the high 90s several times. At night it was still in the high 60s/low 70s.

Good luck!

Thanks everyone. I'm going to make a video of all my plants today after work. It should be Live on youtube sometime tonight so you can see what I'm talking about. My F2 mexibells are actually setting fruit pretty well. It's only the peppers I care about that are dropping. It's 90 outside right now and the predicted high tomorrow is 97. :mouthonfire:

My C. Chinenses suffer from the same problem and it drives me insane.

Currently I'm trying to make sure I don't over water them ( even with 90F+ temperatures ) and I'm misting them in the morning before I go to work and again when I get back.
I didn't notice any difference in flower drop since I started doing this ( 2 weeks now ) but I feel it should work since most of them are supposed to come from tropical weather countries.

Bleash

Here's a video so you guys can see what I'm talking about. (You might want to skip the first minute and a half; it's not pepper relevant.)
As you can see it's mostly my jalapenos and cayennes that are really dropping bad. I'm starting to question my soil quality and maybe the genetics of the plants. They were grown from saved seed, from bonnie plant stock purchased at home depot and grown last season. Also, anyone ever see a bhut get that big and not sprout a single bud?

Mine are not dropping flowers that I can tell. Last year I had that problem alot. The only difference this year is that I am keeping the soil moist and watering on a regular basis.

please try to kill all the damn slugs and snails so they are not a factor too
maybe a little epsom salt spray every two weeks
i dunno it does not look from your vid as if too much sun is a problem where you have those
you may be a little shady there as my grow is :eek:
you might try some pubescens at that location i bet they will like that there

Or just let the plants keep growing without pods until it cools down some. Bigger plants = more pods. I'm currently plucking every flower I see. :)

I was wondering if you were still pinching yours musky. How much longer are you going to continue pinching this season?

My plants are still pretty small, so I'll pinch until I figure they are big enough to start fruiting. It's normally not really an issue, but my plants are flowering faster than I can pinch, and some are still way too small for pods in my opinion. I've actually found several baby pods on 6-7 inch plants this year. I'm trying some different liqiud nutes to see if that slows down the flowering and bumps up the growth. They are starting to grow fast now though.

Back