• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

water How to remove chlorine / chloramine from water

Powelly said:
Thanks guys this is reassuring 
I will still practice filling the watering can up with hot tap water and leaving it a few days 

The vitamin C article is also very interesting
not sure how relevant this is but hot water commonly contains trace amounts of lead due to the way the heating elements work. the regs are different because it isnt considered drinking water... but I don't know if it matters since ive heard that the pepper plants will absorb heavy metals and not pass it into the fruits...  am I right about that?

dub_sauces said:
not sure how relevant this is but hot water commonly contains trace amounts of lead due to the way the heating elements work. the regs are different because it isnt considered drinking water... but I don't know if it matters since ive heard that the pepper plants will absorb heavy metals and not pass it into the fruits...  am I right about that?

Possibly, I don't know. My hot water is gas powered though and fairly certain everything comes through the same line

Powelly said:

Possibly, I don't know. My hot water is gas powered though and fairly certain everything comes through the same line
oh yeah, i should have mentioned that most hot water heating elements are the culprit, if you are gas heated then you shouldnt have to worry about whether this applies to you

dub_sauces said:

Electric heating element is a shielded resistance made of a tinned copper or stainless steel tube comprising a spiral resistance surrounded by magnesium powder. This powder allows electrical insulation.
There is no lead that goes into the making of the element, then if trace of lead there is in your water  It is from the welds of your pipes if they were made with lead.

floricole said:

Electric heating element is a shielded resistance made of a tinned copper or stainless steel tube comprising a spiral resistance surrounded by magnesium powder. This powder allows electrical insulation.
There is no lead that goes into the making of the element, then if trace of lead there is in your water  It is from the welds of your pipes if they were made with lead.
nope. thats only true for recent water heaters... and who the fuck has lead in their pipes these days?  you havent been allowed to even use lead solder for almost as long as ive been alive.  the SDWA prohibits the “use of any pipe, any pipe or plumbing fitting or fixture, any solder, or any flux, after June 1986, in the installation or repair of (i) any public water system; or (ii) any plumbing in a residential or non-residential facility providing water for human consumption, that isn't lead free"

I will try to find the paper I read about the water heater thing in, but it was a recent study, some chemical conversion begins as the heating element breaks down.

Back