• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds How to remove the seed's "Hat"

I have one bhut with his hat still one, the other ones seem to have shed theirs. This Bhuts looks to be on there tight too. Any help?

At the top covering up the new to be leaves... Sucks I'll see if I can get it to soften up.

What do I do? just put drops of water on it here and there?

There has been many interesting threads on this on all the forums. I do it a couple of different ways. the first is take a pair of fingernail clippers and hold the seedling up to the light so you can see through it and clip around the edges of the casing. When you hold it up to the light you can see the cotyledons through the casing. The second way is to let the casing get dry and hard and pinch it between your fingers and it usually will crack it open but make sure you have it positioned the right way between your fingers or you will just crush it.( I think someone on this forum suggested doing it that way last year) The second way is how I do it now with very good results. There is one other way that I have done it and it has worked. If the casing is part of the way off and you can cut the cotyledons in half and leave the ends of them in the casing the plants for me have survived. I don't do this unless I have exausted all other means.

Dale

I figure if the plant isn't strong enough to break it, it isn't going to be a good plant in the long run. Then again, all my plants shed their cap in time.

Mike

Dale knows his stuff.

I accidentally discovered a great way, but I don't have the cajones to trry it again.

AJ sent me some seed from the great state of texas, where they evidently roll over the mail with a freaking steamroller.

Rather than look a gift horse in the mouth, I put the seed fragments in soil and began asking others in PM's for replacement naga seeds.

Every damn one of AJ's came up (assuming I counted the bits right) with no helmets on.

I can't bring myself to stomp on all of my seeds, but it worked.

thepodpiper said:
The second way is to let the casing get dry and hard and pinch it between your fingers and it usually will crack it open but make sure you have it positioned the right way between your fingers or you will just crush it.( I think someone on this forum suggested doing it that way last year) The second way is how I do it now with very good results.

I don't know whether it was me that suggested this or not last year, but this is how I do it with good results...

JMO...the reason you get seedlings with hats on most of the time is you are not planting the seeds deep enough for the "soil" to have time to pull it off....again JMO

You can also just leave them on, they'll grow just fine. I've got a picture of a thriving tomato seedling with the seed still covering the cotyledons.

I just tried crushing a Black Scorpion Tongue and a Grenada Seasoning with tweezers,hoping they will come off tomorrow.They have been like that a week.I am having this happen much less when using the clear plasic cap on my grow box.I'm thinking the humidity keeps them soft enough to shed easier.This happened to my single Yellow 7 pod.The leaves pulled off with the cap,the stump remained alive for at least 6 weeks.Kept thinking it would put out leaves but it finally croaked.TORTURE!

Here's how I do it..

Just friggin pull it off. :)

I've yanked the seed casing off dozens of new sprouts with little care and no ill effects. They're not all THAT fragile really.

HOLD THE PHONE......

Black Scorpion Tongue?

Is that the coolest thing since the 7 POT,....... or a name made up by pepper joe?

Ringburn, I did that with a 7-Pot this year it ended up doing just fine.

Dale

DSC00458.jpg

DSC00464.jpg

RingburnDave said:
Here's how I do it..

Just friggin pull it off. :)

I've yanked the seed casing off dozens of new sprouts with little care and no ill effects. They're not all THAT fragile really.

I've done that successfully many times but on the other hand I've also decapitated a few. So it's hit and miss.

Back