Howdy y'all, from Texas!

Howdy y'all, from Texas!

Long-time chilehead, been growing hot peppers since 2001! Haven't tried many of the newer varieties, as I over-winter my peppers, and as a result of my success in keeping plants alive for many years, there was literally "no room at the inn".

Bugs recently "fixed" this problem for me. :cry:

When I first built-up my pepper plant collection, "hottest" would have been considered something like a Caribbean Red, Chocolate Hab, or Fatalii (most experts were unconvinced back then of the accuracy of the unverified claim coming-out of India). So I have yet to try any of the "super hots", although the idea of a pepper over 3x hotter than a good hab is making my mouth water just thinking about it! :) Just ordered some Bhut seeds off eBay - hopefully they're the real deal!

I got discouraged with this hobby for a while due to bug problems, particularly after fighting a loosing battle with aphids last winter and earlier this year, resulting in the devastating loss of the vast majority of my pepper plants, including some rare varieties, and even my 6-year-old rocoto plants!!! :banghead: Arrrgggh!

Anyways, after months of spraying the survivors, I think I FINALLY got the aphids at bay, and am now looking at re-building my pepper collection. (All this destruction had a silver lining, as seeing all of the new varieties that are now available has gotten me very excited about this hobby again!)

I have ordered some stuff from eBay and elsewhere, but my luck from such sources has been very mixed - my best stock has always come from fellow growers. So if any of you has any extra seeds going to waste that can help me re-build from this disaster (particularly any of the superhots or chinense), I would be MUCH obliged. I will be going through what seeds I still have around, and will be posting something in the "trades" section later.

Also, if anyone has any questions about growing long-lived peppers and overwintering, please let me know! I've successfully grown pepper plants that survived as long as 8 years old (would have been longer if not for the bugs!), and learned a FEW tricks along the way ;) so I can probably answer many of your questions about how to do this, or at least point you in the right direction! :)

BTW, my nic reflects another fun hobby of mine. Both share the same trait - a nice one has excellent "burn" capability! :flamethrower:

Welcome from Tampa!

Most of the bhuts that people got on Ebay are not true bhuts. Most people are getting Carribean Reds once they grow their seeds out. There are many places that offer true bhuts, like pepperlover's site above. The most popular place is the New Mexico State University Chile Pepper Institute at http://www.chilepepperinstitute.org/

I believe their strain the current world record holder.

Howdy back at ya !!!!

What part of the DFW area are you in? I grew up in the Houston area, but now live in the frigid midwest. Brrr!

:welcome:

Welcome from Austin Texas.

May Your Soul Rest In Peppers

HERE

4386562877_0488df8fc1.jpg

NJA

:welcome: Hey there. Im here in the DF-dub as well!!! I hope ya got lotts of ice cream and non-skid 'cuz It gets hot in here!! :hell:

"non-skid is a nice lotion or aloe based toilet paper" :crazy:

welcome! yeah ,don't do the ebay thing anyomore there are plenty of sites that have seed you'll be happy with. you came to the right place. a lot of very cool people here and a lot of knowledge from the people on here.

Welcome from Fort Worth...

"Life is too short to live in Dallas", that is why I don't say DFW...

Back