• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Huge black rat snake

A week or so ago, saw huge black rat snake in high tunnel.  Saw it again today.  I think it lives in there.  Make sense, they love the warm.  But is kind of cool.  Problem, I mentioned it to the kids and now they refuse to help in the high tunnel.  Their mother agrees.  Its just a stinking rat snake but everyone is all terrified cause it is big.

In my experience, rat snakes are ill-tempered buggers, at least here in Texas they are -- unsuitable, I would think, as pets.  That said, you shouldn't hurt them either.  They're very beneficial, as their name suggests.

You have to lie to kids man. "Hahaha, it wasn't a snake, it was the end of the hose. Isn't that funny? How stupid is Dad?"

Hahahahaha you stupid dad now we help you....

SavinaRed said:
Dang if I lived closer I would catch it and have the ratsnake for a pet. Is the snake over 6 foot long ?
 I mulch the heck out of everything in part to attract snakes, toads, turtles, and other things that eat pests.  Besides, they stink.  Not sure if he is that long, seems like it but he doesnt stop for measurements.

I haven't seen many snakes in the yard yet this year. I think they're kind of stop-start with early warmth, cold, warmth, damp-cold, etc. They should be coming along soon.

Rat snakes are cool!

Ye, the season has been strange.  The cold snap killed off our baby duck before they hatched.  Mama ducks are all depressed and confused.  But it seems like the bugs are less this year.

Geonerd said:
The High Tunnel?   :confused:
You have a tunnel system installed beneath your house?
Is this some sort of Secret Underground Lair?  
Please fill me/us in on the details.   :)
High Tunnel AKA Polly Tunnel / Hoop House.  But my indoor grow room is kind of a secret underground lair.  It used to be the cistern for the house.  Previous owner drained it and cut a doorway into it inside a closet.

Geonerd said:
The High Tunnel?   :confused:
You have a tunnel system installed beneath your house?
Is this some sort of Secret Underground Lair?  
Please fill me/us in on the details.   :)

You mean you don't have a secret underground lair, where you breed your monster chilli varieties, with SHU of 3.6million???
:rofl:

ThatBlondGuy101 said:

You mean you don't have a secret underground lair, where you breed your monster chilli varieties, with SHU of 3.6million???
:rofl:

Alas, no.   :mope: 
The damned Aridzona dirt is too hard to dig...  :(

Back