• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

annuum Huge Jalapenos

I live in McAllen, always big jalapenos for sale. Not much else though some serranos and orange habs.

And we are right on the border, you can hear the gunfire on some nights from over in Reynosa.

I live in McAllen, always big jalapenos for sale. Not much else though some serranos and orange habs.

And we are right on the border, you can hear the gunfire on some nights from over in Reynosa.
Yikes! I am about as far removed from that action as possible.

I did a little research on where I could find seeds for these huge jalapenos because I'm a HUGE fan of poppers. I think these are called "jalapeno grande" (according to a quick search on thechileman.org). After doing a little google research, it looks like some are available on ebay but I'm not sure I want to risk that.
I'm very curious how poppers would turn out for such a huge pepper though. Very tasty I'm sure.

I make poppers out of anaheims all the time, I just chop up some Habs or scotch bonnets and put them in with the filler (usually cream cheese). Definitely tasty results

I'm really liking the looks of my Mucho Nachos so far. Still setting a ton of fruit, and the most mature pods are already aproaching 4" and still growing like weeds. The ones with direct sun exposure have turned almost jet black making them doubly cool. Temps are still not optimal for growth or fruit set with night time lows in the mid 40's, but I already have around 30 pods set on 4 plants. It is going to be a popper filled summer! :flamethrower: :dance: The jury is still out on heat and flavor, but like I said before they're supposed to be pretty hot by Jal standards.

I have six Mucho Nachos sprouting now, and I'm very excited to get some monsters off of them. I was torn between those and Biker Billys for this year, but the site I got my other seeds from didn't carry any Billys, so Muchos it was. Never grown 'em before, can't wait.

These pics were from about a week ago...
P1000611.jpg

P1000612.jpg

The dogs snapped the limb of this guy which was my biggest pod ughhh. I staked it back up and taped the break back together, but I think it stopped the growth on this dude. It has even more black on it now and is much larger. I will try to post a pic of how they look tomorrow.

P1000678.jpg

P1000677.jpg

These are the same peppers a week later. The first photo is from a different angle, but are the same 2 from the first pic above. The second pic is the same pod same angle, pay attention to the background pods in both pics to. This one is staked because my dogs snapped this limb and I had to repair it. These pods grow freakishly fast. Amazing...I really want to taste one and find out about the heat and flavor...have to wait 'till they're done cooking though. Not picking my first of these until they start to turn red. Very easy to grow and if they keep up at this rate I will have more than enough pods for poppers every weekend!

Back