• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Hydro Grow 2010

Wow!! :shocked: I've never grown a plant indoors. It looks like if you take away the factors of weather and play the role of mother nature you can have a show quality plant. That is really amazing!!! Good luck with the pollination troubles!!

I bet that Basil smells good. I plant a few around my Chillies and let them flower to attract bees.

(I also keep some leafy and make my own pesto. You should try it, there's nothing like fresh home made pesto. I eat it with a spoon :rofl: )

Wow!! :shocked: I've never grown a plant indoors. It looks like if you take away the factors of weather and play the role of mother nature you can have a show quality plant. That is really amazing!!! Good luck with the pollination troubles!!

Thank you for the compliment and the encouragement.

I bet that Basil smells good. I plant a few around my Chillies and let them flower to attract bees.

(I also keep some leafy and make my own pesto. You should try it, there's nothing like fresh home made pesto. I eat it with a spoon :rofl: )

I love having fresh basil. I basically grow it all year round. I use it in grilled cheese, on burgers, omelets, etc. I have never made or even had pesto. I will have to give it a try in the near future.

Just a little update.
A few weeks ago I noticed growth had slowed. The leaves began to yellow and drop. I checked the EC and it was seriously low. I have since gotten things back on track.

1/17

1/24

The plant is now looking great but I still have no pods. I am also starting seeds for the summer in 1 week and will have to do something with this plant. I know people have taken plants from hydro to soil but I am concerned about removing all the hydroton from the roots (it is a flood drain system not DWC). I really don't want to cut it back but I don't really have anywhere to put a plant that is more than 3' in diameter. I will most likely cut it back and plant it in potting mix. At least I should get early pods once it goes into my garden.

Wow those plants are amazing!

Thanks. It got scary for 2 weeks. There are still some yellowed leaves in the dead center but the plant has bounced back nicely.

wait, so you're saying that is just 1 huge plant??

Well, I have the 1 pepper plant, a basil plant that you can see part of in the top left corner, and lettuce which you can see below the basil. The box is 3'x5'. I took that picture through one of the two doors. On the left hand side you can see the stud that is centered at 2.5'. The doors latch to that. I feel like that is more information than you needed, but I was just trying to give some perspective. The mylar on the walls makes things a bit difficult to make out.

excellent looking plant. any chance we could get a shot of the roots?

It is flood and drain so it would be difficult. I am going to have to do something with it in a week though. At that time I will try to remember to snap a picture of the roots.

That plant is really nice. Too bad you don't have room to keep it going. Cutting it back is gonna be painful. :(

That plant is really nice. Too bad you don't have room to keep it going. Cutting it back is gonna be painful. :(

You're not kidding. It is bad enough in the Fall. By that point I have a ton of pods and the plants are somewhat raggedy. With this plant, I have no pods and it is just starting to get big.

Thank you for the compliment and the encouragement.

I love having fresh basil. I basically grow it all year round. I use it in grilled cheese, on burgers, omelets, etc. I have never made or even had pesto. I will have to give it a try in the near future.

Very nice plant hope you get loads of pods. And about the pesto you really need to make some fast cuz its so delicious. I personally cant get enough of it. It tastes great with some cheese and honey put it under the girdle a few minutes and enjoy.

Good god thats how you grow some hot peppers!

Thank you. I definitely am enjoying my first experience with hydroponics. I think in the ground is easiest but I will take hydro over regular containers any day.

Very nice plant hope you get loads of pods. And about the pesto you really need to make some fast cuz its so delicious. I personally cant get enough of it. It tastes great with some cheese and honey put it under the girdle a few minutes and enjoy.

Thanks. I actually was having trouble setting pods but I think I found a couple.

As for the pesto, do you have a basic recipe?

I don't want to speak too soon but I believe my plant is finally setting pods.

goatpepperseedling019.jpg

My Hydro plants only recently started to set pods. So far, only a few which kinda sucks. But from this past summer, from what I've seen it's kinda normal. All my hydro plants this past summer set just a few pods at first then after one pod went ripe fruit started showing up everywhere. Hopefully history will repeat itself..

Your plants look great by the way.

My Hydro plants only recently started to set pods. So far, only a few which kinda sucks. But from this past summer, from what I've seen it's kinda normal. All my hydro plants this past summer set just a few pods at first then after one pod went ripe fruit started showing up everywhere. Hopefully history will repeat itself..

Your plants look great by the way.

Thanks. I kind of do and don't want the plant to set pods. I want it to set pods because I have been waiting and would love to have a bunch of pure seed to give to fellow members. I kind of don't want it to set pods because Tuesday I am planting seeds for my 2011 season and need the room. I am probably going to end up chopping off half the plant so I can get a few pods but still have room for seedlings.

I missed pictures last Monday but here are two from today. The flowers I thought were setting pods dropped. I am keeping it going but today I chopped off a large chunk so my soon to be seedlings can get enough light. I will probably trim the plant way back soon and remove it from the grow box. I am pretty bummed I didn't get one pod but what can you do.

goatpepperseedling022.jpg

goatpepperseedling021.jpg

Back