• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

nutrients Hydro nutes strength

I'm just wondering if everyone uses their hydro nutes to the recommended strength on the bottle or a weaker solution?

I have a couple overwintered scotch bonnets and a bunch of small super hots that I started late last season in Pro-Mix HP being fed with Advanced nutrients new 3 part. Since the nutrients are optimized for growing 'other plants', I have been tinkering a bit and found that if I cut the grow down to 1/3 the recommended dosage and the micro and bloom to 1/2 dosage, my plants stay a nice deep green and seem to be growing steadily. I flush with straight tap water every third watering.

Personally I don't think that peppers need the massive amounts of nutrients that weed plants do, especially since this isn't a cash crop or anything, its just be keeping peppers growing through the winter for me.

in my hydro so far i keep it at 450-700ppm wen mixing the soluton. with my potted plants i do 1/2 strength every other water in the cooler months, and 3/4 stength 3 out of 4 waterings in the warmer months. the 4 watering is to flush out the soil. this is only the start of my second year and first growing from seed, so this is all still new but this is what do and also add that i will add stuff as the plant shows the need for it

I try not to exceed 1000ppm with nutes, seems any more is a waste.
Maybe i can cut it down further. :)

The Tomato formula which I use for the hydro, mixes at 1200ppm. The peppers love it. when I do bucket changes I use it on the potted peppers. They love it too.

During the winter I do cut back to 25% cause I don't want huge growth, to get damaged in case of a freeze.

The Tomato formula which I use for the hydro, mixes at 1200ppm. The peppers love it. when I do bucket changes I use it on the potted peppers. They love it too.

During the winter I do cut back to 25% cause I don't want huge growth, to get damaged in case of a freeze.
Same here I go to 1.2 EC at the peak.. you basically use about half of what the nutrient bottle says, otherwise you end burning the plants. Yeah my vegie garden loves the leftover water from rez changes

Chiles do not really need a lot of nutrients. I would use 1/4 to 1/2 strength of what is recommended on any product and try not to go much over 600ppms.

I keep between 400 and 600 ppm all the time. Chiles are not a very genetically-engineered plant and they don't use much fertilizer.

Tomatos are genetically engineered to use a lot of nutrient.

I would be cautious of using too many nutes anyway, it can mess with the taste. Somebody left me 5 gallons of pure fish emulsion that I fertilized an outside garden with heavily. Cucumbers were the size of my arm, but boy did they have a fishy smell, I cant imagine how it would taste. It was NASTY lol.

I would be cautious of using too many nutes anyway, it can mess with the taste. Somebody left me 5 gallons of pure fish emulsion that I fertilized an outside garden with heavily. Cucumbers were the size of my arm, but boy did they have a fishy smell, I cant imagine how it would taste. It was NASTY lol.
I know what you mean about chemmy tasting things, but the best thing to do is use a flushing agent like "FloraKleen", "Clearex", "Final Phase". Use this about 2-3 weeks before harvest once then continue with plain water.

Back