• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Hydrofarm heat mat thermostat.

Can someone who has one of these tell me where the sensor is located that reads the temperature? In the bottom of the seed tray, on top, where exactly does it take it's reading from?

I bought one this year. The temp is measured by a probe you insert into your growing medium or attach to a suction cup to measure air temps. Pretty long cord (3 foot?).

Thanks for the reply's. I have an infra-red thermometer gun that I have been measuring my soil temps with and on top of the soil they are averaging 75˚ to 80˚. On the very bottom of the seed tray they are between 95˚ to 100˚.

If I measure directly in the middle of the seedling cell it averages 83˚ to 87˚. Since where the seeds are planted I would say they are in the 80˚ to 85˚ range of the soil temp but I was trying to understand where most people measure their soil temp.

Also, to maintain those temps there is no way I can leave the domes on the trays because it gets too hot. Trying to decide if I should get the thermostat so I can leave the dome on and maintain the same temperature.

Suggestions?

put a towel between the mat and the tray

+1

Or just make sure there is better ventilation. Honestly? I've used Hydrofarm mats for three years, never monitored or regulated anything, and have had no problems and very good germination. FANTASTIC germination this year. If you're getting 75-83F where the seed is, then you're aces, buddy.

Back