• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Hydrogen Peroxide - Really?

I started seeds for the first time recently and I used coco coir (sterilised with boiling water and allowed to cool) in a sectioned tray with clear 'clip on' lid.

I planted them 6 days ago and they have been in the airing cupboard at 28 - 32 degrees C and the coir has been moist. Nothing at all. Not one has popped yet, out of 108 seeds planted.

I'm worried that it might be due to soaking them in 3% Hydrogen Peroxide overnight. I read lots of posts on THP with people giving different advice about whether to use it and for how long etc and it seemed like it would only help if I did use it. Is it possible that it has killed the seeds? It turned my fingertips white and stung them, so I could imagine it being strong enough to do damage to the seeds.

I myself grow my seeds using a hydroponic method that involves rockwool and some warmth. I don't soak my seeds in hydrogen peroxide but I do put them in plain water for about 6-25 hours before I place them in rock wool. You said it's been six days since you planted them and if they're capsicum Chinese then it's totally OK to not get any sprouts yet. I usually get sprouts around the 8-14 day mark after setting them in rockwool. Give them a little more time and we'll hopefully see that your seeds are just fine.

When I soaked seeds in hydrogen peroxide, I used 3 tsp 3% peroxide per quart of water.  If you used straight 3% hydrogen peroxide it might have damaged the seeds.

Ah. I hadn't seen that diluting the 3% HP was required. I have just seen a table link from another thread that backs up your dilution ratio.

That means I have probably fried my seeds doesn't it? Dammit.
http://www.using-hydrogen-peroxide.com/gardening-with-hydrogen-peroxide.html

A teaspoon and a half in a cup of water. If only I had seen this earlier! I am absolutely gutted. I have probably killed 108 seeds - some varieties of which I only had the 6 seeds for. I so wanted to have a few Reaper plants this year and now I have accidentally killed them. So annoyed with myself.

It's far too soon to assume anything except to assume they take longer than 6 days to germinate. Some take up to a month or longer depending on conditions and how long you wait until giving up.

They can take up to a month to germinate, no joke. So keep waiting!

And yes, you do need to dilute the H2O2 with water 1:10 ration before you use. And actually it would be a good idea to dilute any nutes you use at that ratio when you start feeding later on.

I think I'm going to start the remainder of the seeds that I hadn't started anyway. If the HP soaked seeds do come through, then great. If not, at least I will have some seedlings to get under the new T5 that arrived yesterday.

This year I started using undiluted 3% H2O2, but I only soaked the seeds in it for one minute, before rinsing with clean water. The germination process is still ongoing, but so far I've had good success. 

i soak them overnight in chamomile tea ,  make it drink it all up , make second with same bag soak seeds with weaker solution , keep them warm, i put them in  little plastic dixie cups ( don't forget to write names of strains on the cups ) down in seed germination box with heat mat on .  i soaked seeds dec. 28 planted dec 9 in seed cells . and sprouts started popping  jan 3 .  brazilian ghosts came up first , then cbbg7 , yellow brain strain , cmadbalz , etc.  got like 48 sprouts so far and a few being stubborn yet but its only been 9  days since planting .

I started my superhot chinense seeds in a damp paper towel in a plastic bag near my wood stove (probably should've soaked in the H2O2 considering some seemed to get diseased) and it took 9-10 days just to see a few seeds with tiny roots poking out. These things are so slooow....

I go back and forth, but this year I soaked my seeds in about 10% H202 and have good germination rates as before. I never used coco to germinate, but agree 6 days is way too early. I often have a few pop within 3-4 days but the vast majority take much longer!

I have used both Hydrogen Peroxide and Camomile tea before with good success. Camomile is what is use regularly now with an over night soak for the seeds. 

I'm not sure yet whether to try and flush the coir with water to try and reduce any further damage or whether to just leave them and wait. The other thing that makes me wonder is the use of the airing cupboard. It stays between 28 and 35 degrees C, but it is dark and is often 35 degrees, which I am concerned might be too warm?

Back