• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

hydroponic Hydroponic Brain Strain Yellow The Return!

Ok, so some of you may recall the hydroponic attempt I did earlier this year with the Yellow Brain Strain. Well, after some bad information about hydroponics from another site, it died! Anyways, I had 3 more Yellow Brain Strains in dirt and decided to put one back into the hydro for another try.
it was a well established plant when it went into the hydro unit, so it should be good...
BSYellow4-25-12.jpg

And just a week later, it is showing signs of growth...
BSYellow5-1-12.jpg

Got a 150 watt HPS light today, so now things are really gonna get turned up...
NewLight1.jpg

Love it. She looks nice and happy too, looks like she's starting to fork :)

I'm excited about this strain myself this year, so you better keep us posted!

Are you using an airstone? Just wondering because I see the hole on the lid...
Yes there is an airstone fixed to the bottom of the bucket. I drilled a hole in the side of the bucker just below the top and ran the line through that. When I change the nutes I use the hole in the top to add the nutrients. First I add 2 gallons of clean water, then using a 30cc syringe with a tube attached, I add the micro, then the grow and finally the bloom. I know the bloom is supposed to be used for flowering stage, but I added it just to try a few weeks ago and the plant really responded, so I am using all 3 now and pinching flowers off as they appear.

I plan on updating the picture weekly to show the progress of how it is doing with the new light, hopefully being 16,000 lumens, it will really take off now. I have been monitoring the temp over the last few hours, at the bottom by the bucket it is staying in the low 70's, about 6" above the plant it is mid 80's and at the top of the chamber it is mid 90's. I have 2 more fans ordered and should be here middle of next week, I am going to drill a 3" hole at the top of the grow chamber on each side and make it a push/pull system to try to get fresh air in while the front is closed up and possibly even out the temp.

6 More days and there is yet more growth, this thing is really taking off, I removed the cage and added a bamboo stake to the planter. I also revived the Maxwell House experiment, starting completely from seeds in the rockwool and they will live here their whole life. FYI, the Maxwells have Shishito peppers in them...
BSYellow5-7-12.jpg

Looking really good man, your YBS has bulked significantly. Your reflective background looks exactly like the insulators that my fish come in........might it be true?

2 Week update. I took the lower leaves off below the split, they never seem to be productive anyways to me. I also decreased the water level to add an air buffer zone in the bucket. There is alot of new growth in the root system, it is finally catching up again and I trimmed some of the older brown roots off. I think the browning is stain from my nutrient solution, it is kind of reddish/brown in color. I also just did a complete refill of the solution and cleaned the bucket out.
BSYellow5-19-12.jpg

Im looking forward to this harves season, every one will have YBS seeds to trade. That is the one plant I lookfarwardd to most. This thread will be my motivation. Keep up the good work so we can see what these guys like. Im totaly sub'ed to this thread.

Thanks, it has been a love/hate relationship with this plant. I love it, it hates growing for me. LOL Other than hitting it with nuclear radiation, I dont know what else to do to it. It seems that everyone else that does hydro has super fast growth, mine just kinda go at a turtle pace for some reason.

Thanks, it has been a love/hate relationship with this plant. I love it, it hates growing for me. LOL Other than hitting it with nuclear radiation, I dont know what else to do to it. It seems that everyone else that does hydro has super fast growth, mine just kinda go at a turtle pace for some reason.

PM spongey600, he has a DWC Red Brainstrain. You may have a newt lock up.

Whats your PH and what kind of PPM you running? I bet sponge cant help you get this thing going, his hydro BS is a beast.
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/26940-spongeys-2012-grow/page__hl__spongey__st__40

Weekly Update

Ok so it has been another week with the water level dropped down and this thing is going nuts. I have all kinds of flowers coming on and it has grown almost 3" in height!!! The thermometer has not been moved lower, thats how much she has grown in a week.
BSYellow5-25-12.jpg

All these roots out the side are a weeks worth of growth, they were just starting to poke out last friday, they wouldnt even show on the camera then.
BSYellow5-25-12Roots.jpg

looking good! like Cayenemist said, i have a BS red in a DWC on my balcony, i am using general hydro flora nova "bloom" and aqua sheild. i just follow the directions on the bottle and set it at about 950ppm with the nutes, then add the aqua sheild. and check my PH every 4-5 days res change every 10-14 days, my plants 36'tall(from top of bucket) and 36" in diameter on the canopy and i have new growth all over the place! the roots are filling up the bucket! i am going to try to make it till the end of summer with out trimming but not sure that will be possible!

I got to try this! As soon as I can afford a Newts, Ph down, PH kit, and a PPM meter. Even if I fail I want to at least try it.

Cayenne, I am not terribly worried about ph up and ph down, but my tap water is pretty good from the start. I am not sure what my ppm is and dont really care, the plant is thriving, so it is happy, updated pictures will be put up later today, but I warn you all, this thing has gone freakishly mad on me in the last week, doesnt even look like the same plant, its unreal...

This plant is growing in a 40 dollar EBay hydro kit. I paid 25 Shipped for my 3 part nutrient kit (3 1 quart bottles) off ebay and I am just using plain old tap water with a shot of hydrogen peroxide.

Ok, well it was sooner cause I am so excited. The plant today...
BSYellow6-1-12.jpg

And the roots today...
Roots6-1-12.jpg

My weekly update, yet another week and I had to move the plant. It was into the HPS light and I couldnt raise the light any higher in the grow box, so it went into the back room on the table. The roots are going mad crazy, dont worry about the color of the lower root area, it is just stained from the color of the nutrient solution...
BSYellow6-8-12.jpg

And the roots...
Roots6-8-12.jpg

My weekly update, yet another week and I had to move the plant. It was into the HPS light and I couldnt raise the light any higher in the grow box, so it went into the back room on the table. The roots are going mad crazy, dont worry about the color of the lower root area, it is just stained from the color of the nutrient solution...
BSYellow6-8-12.jpg

And the roots...
Roots6-8-12.jpg

My god that is one beautiful plant you have there man. So big o.o hydro seems to be awesome.

Back