I bought a Black Czech plant.

The guy I bought it from said it is similar in size, shape, and heat to a jalapeno. The fruit starts out green, turns black, and then red. It is also an heirloom. Has anyone grown these?

Hay JayT.
How's it going?

I do grow 40 plants or so every year, second row second pic.

Description copied of my site.

The Czechoslovakian Black (Czech Black) hot peppers are a rare variety that is well loved for its mildly spicy heat.
The fruit is thick walled and approximately the size of a Jalapeño, with similar levels of heat, black pods ripen to deep red.
When dried they shine and turn a stunning color of maroon.

Not tremendously prolific in my climate though, maybe 75 to 125 per plant if I keep them picked and it a good year!

Garden_Pic_001_tile.jpg

Czech_Black_900pxw.jpg

The guy I bought it from said it is similar in size, shape, and heat to a jalapeno. The fruit starts out green, turns black, and then red. It is also an heirloom. Has anyone grown these?

I was given a plant this year by some coworkers they got at Home Depot and tag said Hungarian Black with the same description. It has pretty purple flowers and just set it's first pod the other day.

I had posted about it and this is all I got back.

http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/20789-black-hungarian/page__p__434740#entry434740

I'm out of town or I would have posted a pic

I've grown the Black Czech before and it looks beautiful in the garden. The ripening process is neat to observe. I found that I liked to eat them straight off the plant, cut up into a salad which really livened it up. However, they were not very good to cook with, for example fried in an omelette, in which they tasted kind of bland.

I think it's the same as "Hungarian Black"...(?) Sounds like the same pepper, anyway. I've got three in the ground right now (Hungarians), one overwintered. Also have a bunch of new seedlings from the overwintered plant. I really like these peppers. They're sweeter than Jalapeno, with similar heat but a little less "sting"; more of a gradual heat. Nice, tasty peppers. :)

Back