• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

I did something stupid

I let the light on during the night a couple times and I think the peppers were to close to the light.
My plants are severely damaged.
I now put them in the near dark, tomorrow I'll give them a couple hours of light...
I'll slowely let them adjust to the light again.
Will/can they recover?

PB3vdwv.jpg
aX85b33.jpg
zZTXI6Q.jpg

Why not light on 24/7 ? Last year i did find some info about chiliplants and that they could have the light on all the time since they didnt "use" the dark time as other plants. I cant find that info now, but i have my light on all the time (when they are inside, when i move them out i dont have the light on at day but its on at night).

pwb said:
Why not light on 24/7 ? Last year i did find some info about chiliplants and that they could have the light on all the time since they didnt "use" the dark time as other plants. I cant find that info now, but i have my light on all the time (when they are inside, when i move them out i dont have the light on at day but its on at night).
I had the same question last year. I now run 18/6 schedule

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/45239-turning-lights-off/

Diminishing returns after 18-20 hours is how I understand it. re: the amount of growth per hour in the last 4-6 hours is substantially lower than the previous 18. Also cuts 1/4 off the bill. Not a huge difference either way, some run 24/7 to keep temperature in range.

Those plants look fine, I treated my plant worse at times and done more damage, don't change a thing, if the leaves are too damaged the plant will know and choose to discard them...  But altering lighting will just cause less food production and stop the plants repairing faster. 

Plants look good and strong so far

Those will for sure be fine. I cant tell you how many times my plants grew up into my bulb and burned. Yours don't even look burned at all. Just a little light nuked is all.

Interesting to see some of the thoughts about 24/7 lighting. My plants are on a 24/7 schedule with an hps bulb. They have a good amount of flowers and buds on them. I had no choice as someone said in a previous post if I didn't do 24/7 they would have froze. I cant compare it to 18/6 or 12/12 because this is my first hydro grow but I can say that 24/7 is possible as far as getting to flowering stage for sure lol.

miguelovic said:
Diminishing returns after 18-20 hours is how I understand it. re: the amount of growth per hour in the last 4-6 hours is substantially lower than the previous 18. Also cuts 1/4 off the bill. Not a huge difference either way, some run 24/7 to keep temperature in range.
You say peppers lose growth after 20 hours.
But they can't recuperate so the growth stays lower when you give light 24/7?

Grow less would be more accurate re: less growth rate per hour. This is not a personal observation, but the conclusion of a few studies. Different cultivars may respond to longer periods of light.

Back