• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

I don't understand it...

I find that even when I venture through my local mainstream nursery (ie. GreenThumb), there's limited stock of eccentric varieties...even though, many people in my state thrive off spicy food. My best source has been keeping an eye out and buying stuff online.

I just took this an hour ago from a national grocery store chain in Canada, the sign just says hot chili peppers $ 5.19/lb.

(large anaheim, large jalapeno, wax pepper, green serano)

IMG00030.jpg

Burning Colon said:
I just took this an hour ago from a national grocery store chain in Canada, the sign just says hot chili peppers $ 5.19/lb.

(large anaheim, large jalapeno, wax pepper, green serano)

IMG00030.jpg

Were you on a bicycle at the time, or do I need spectacles?

You are right, the first ones are Poblanos, I just wasn't thinking, farting around with getting the picture off my blackberry, onto my computer, moving the picture up to Photobucket, Photobucket not seeing the image on my computer, me clicking every button searching for the image, forgetting to save the image code to post as I was writing the post, logging back into Photobucket to get the code, making sure the image was where I put it so the link didn't come up broken. Then finally trying to remember what I was going to put into the post. I still have one last Poblano in the freezer that I grew 2 years ago..... guess I should use it up.

No Hunt, I don't need glasses..... already have a pair and leave them in the van so I don't mess up taking them off in a store and misplacing them.... did you know that all girls look pretty to me.... fuzzy but pretty, as for the blurry picture I was fumbling around with the blackberry trying to figure out which button activated the camera, then kind of got the shakes as I was focusing in on the peppers seeing if the picture was lined up and actually hitting the peppers. For me this is a master piece! Don't own a bike as it causes the heart to tick slightly faster than my normal slow steady pace.

before you waste your time on store bought peppers most are hybrid, if they do sprout they will be strange looking and or differant from the parent most store chilli are breed for low heat for the masses.if you want some good peppers get some seed from a dealer such as Tomato growers supply company at www.tomatogrowers.com First rate people to deal with. find where mexicans by their chillis, theres usually a mexican that grows plants for sale, find a mexican store ckeck the bill board. Good Luck! ps if looking for plants try cross country nurseries At www.chileplants.com

Question... Looking to grow some maters but want one that is kinda sweet. Know of any varieties? Also, if you guys have ever had Pepe's salsa..I was wondering if you know what tomatoes they put in there.

Edit: Just looked and found out pepes is only in Chi-town

you know the funny thing is that i didn't start growing peppers because i couldn't find good ones in markets, i kept doing it because of that.

i first started growing peppers because my mom thought i needed more greenery in my backyard and why not go for something manly like a hab and a serano? : )

then the off season happened and there were no more habs : ( and grocery store habs SUCKED. i think it's a crime that they are almost ALWAYS mislabeled. if i see another pasilla called a pablano D:!! but there are tons of not so spicy peppers that could find their way to the store, but as stated earlier they most likely do not sell much so more varieties would most likely not work well.

plus for a lot of people grabbing dried cayenne pepper powder or 'red chili flakes' is a lot easier. *shrug*

I actually wanted to make some killer salsa! I am thinking combining some Brandywine Red with some sweet variety... Any other suggestions or combos?

All my new seeds come from tomatogrowers, they're great and all their seeds always come true year to year, and exceptional prices as well, with a good amount of seed. Also, if you live near MD, I would suggest going to this nursery as they have a ton of stuff, it says they have over 12 Trinidad varities, I have yet to check this place out myself yet: http://www.valleyviewfarms.com/

HawaiiAl said:
before you waste your time on store bought peppers most are hybrid, if they do sprout they will be strange looking and or differant from the parent most store chilli are breed for low heat for the masses.if you want some good peppers get some seed from a dealer such as Tomato growers supply company at www.tomatogrowers.com First rate people to deal with. find where mexicans by their chillis, theres usually a mexican that grows plants for sale, find a mexican store ckeck the bill board. Good Luck! ps if looking for plants try cross country nurseries At www.chileplants.com

You are totally right. I bought a few "scotch bonnets" while I was in florida and I could pretty much eat the pepper whole with minimal heat.
I woulden't dare try it with the one's I grow myself.

Wpayton0034 said:
I actually wanted to make some killer salsa! I am thinking combining some Brandywine Red with some sweet variety... Any other suggestions or combos?

Gardener's Delight or Sugar Lump are some sweet OP cherry tomatoes. They're not as sweet as the Sun Gold or Sun Sugar hybrids though. That's why I asked how sweet because cherries will be your sweetest option. There are loads of sweet cherry tomatoes to choose from. Sweet Quartz, Sweet 100, and Sweet Chelsea are a few.

Getting off topic here but... My favorite sauce and salsa tomato is definitely opalka. Its sweet, got a cool chile shape, its meaty, and has a great flavor with very few seeds. I've got about 40 opalka plants growing this season and I hope to make tonnes of salsa. Also growing lots of sungold which are like candy

I don't think you'll find anything sweeter than Sun Gold as far as tomatoes go; it doesn't have a tomato taste to me though. Tastes more like a sweet tropical fruit.

Alright so you guys should help me with my selection so far I got SunGold, Opalka, Brandywine Red, Gardener's Delight. Anything else you can suggest?

Wpayton0034 said:
Alright so you guys should help me with my selection so far I got SunGold, Opalka, Brandywine Red, Gardener's Delight. Anything else you can suggest?

Edit: maybe some that will offset all this sweetness?

There's just so many great tomato flavors out there, but for salsas and sauces you probably want to consider tomatoes that are quite meaty without a whole lot of juice. You may also want to try different colored tomatoes mixed together or even in seperate batches

Back