• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

I Got Slugs

I use this, it works great

51NY2PrhZbL._SY355_.jpg

queequeg152 said:
you might think copper is better for the environment, but you would be wrong in a number of instances.

copper pollution is a huge issue. mostly due to "organic" farms spraying copper sulfate, but also due to copper leaching from mines and shit like that, though the EPA has closed alot of the bad copper mines.

a strip of copper sitting on the surface of some soil probably wont leach anything appreciable into the soil, especially since copper is strongly sequestered by organic soils etc.
but if you have sandy soils without clay or without much organic material, spraying copper, or spreading copper salt hydrates onto the soil can cause runoff issues.
I think of using copper that is already made into something, much the same way as I think of rescuing a dog...  yeah, it might have come from a mill, but it exists now, and it's better to put it to good use, than to just let its existence be in vain.

I would never suggest using copper in a weaponized form.  I'm strictly suggesting using a piece of copper stock, of some sort.  A metal ring.  And those things work superbly against slugs.

Salt will acidify your soil. 

The same way it acidifies your hot sauce.

Salts the reason hydro growers have to check the ph of their...mixture.

In the days of old feuding farmers would salt their enemy's fields for revenge.

Save the salt for the ducks and kraut.

Yeah, but beer traps only work until there is a good rain, or a raccoon or possum decides to take advantage of open bar.

I'm still of the opinion that a static copper ring, just lying there, which can be reused, year in, year out, is pretty hard to beat.

Back