• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

I GOT WORMS!!!

Well I read that 90 is the max they can survive. My temps almost never get over 85 in the summer so the garage never gets that hot. Are you checking the temp of the dirt itself? I mean do you have a probe going into the dirt or is that just the temp outside. I found my garage was very hot, but after probing the dirt itself each layer was about 5-8 degrees cooler.

Well originally it was just buried past the newspaper "topping" but now I decided to actually probe the soil and stuff. But this measurement was not actually in the soil/bedding. The thermistor was between the bottom of the newspaper on top and just on top of the soil/compost/food scraps.

Well soil temps in the bin were about 94 degrees again this morning so I decided to take a chance. I brought the worms in the house and they now are sitting by the basement patio door soaking up my nice cool central air. I'm sure they are probably loving it compared to being in 94 degree soil. I dont know for sure what the temp is but I do know it ain't no 94 and that they are probably pretty happy now. Hopefully I didn't lose any. Last night when I looked though they seemed active and fine for the most part. Cant wait to get home and see how they are doing. I will keep you all posted.

Here it is in the house all nice and...cooler.

IMAG0145.jpg

IMAG0144.jpg

Well my worm bin has been doing very good. I do have one off the wall question though. The other night the fam and I caned another 18 jars of pickles bringing us to about 50 for this season. Can the worms eat the left over dill and cucumbers?

If you want to reduce temps in your worm bin you can freeze your food scraps before feeding them to the worms. This does two things: reduces the temps in the surrounding area and also accelerates the break down of the foods which makes it easier for the worms to process.

"Can the worms eat the left over dill and cucumbers?"

if you put it in the bin they might

only one way for you to find out :rofl:

Back