• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

i have a question for people that use Root pouches and bags

Hello everyone, i keep hearing how great these are to use for growing, and that they air prune the roots....

can these bags be planted right into the ground.... and will the roots grow through them into the surrounding soil?

and then when winter comes, can these be ripped out of the ground, plant trimmed, and roots trimmed back and overwintered this way??

I believe there are different types of them. Some biodegradable after a season or two and some are nylon type material that last longer.  I've read about planting them in the ground before but nothing about pulling them up at the end of the season.  Seems most folks don't plant them and I think for them to be used correctly they need to be set on a platform with holes so air can reach the bottoms.

I could be totally wrong just stating what I've read a long the way. Never done any research on them.

I use root pouches and yes if you put them in the ground roots will grow through them but they won't be worth digging up you would never get the roots out of them. If you don't put them in the ground its a good idea to put them on something otherwise the roots will go through the bottom and you can't move them.

I agree with Rebel! I had a brazilian starfish plant that was 5 ft tall and was in a 4 gallon smart pot. When I tossed the plant because of not being able to OW it I couldn't free the smart pot because of the roots.

Heck, I have roots growing out of the holes in the regular 5, 7 and 10 gallon plastic pots that makes the plants difficult to move. I can only imagine how many roots would be growing out of the bottom of a fabric pot. 

If you plant them, I don't think root pruning would take place. If you're going to place a plant in-ground, I'm not sure there is much benefit to root pouches.

well basically i am starting some plants under lights, and growing them all winter.... in root pouches, then i was thinking that if i just planted them into the dirt, in the spring... that in the fall.... i could just dig them out, and cut the roots.... and then cut the plants back for over wintering....

being able to use smaller root pouches, for the over wintering process... since you have to cut them back and dig them out anyways... and then it saves me room, and also lets the plants grow, without using huge root pouches.... and limiting my plant size.....

maybe i will have to try a few next year and see how it goes, and i will post results.

Back