• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

hot-sauce I just got f%^Ked for 4 hours by an extract sauce

There were boutique sauces back then, and Asian sauces (I remember ABC Chili sauce was the bomb). I was crediting Daves Insanity as being the first sauce maker to put a sauce hotter than Trappey's, Tabasco, and LaVictoria Salsa on the map. I never heard of Blairs until I joined THP.

You old bastage! :flamethrower:

I am doing a little fact checking, and will have a post for you soon THP.  I am pretty sure that you are mistaken about Blair and Dave.  Yes Blair started selling his Original Death sauce out of a bar in 1989, but his first several sauces did not have extract in them.  After Death was the first.  I am pretty sure that Dave beat him to the punch, but they both were actually buying mash from the same dude at the time.  I sent a message to Blair to confirm the release of After Death, but you were correct about Dave and 1993.

SL I have also seen it as Natural Pepper Flavoring, and Natural Capsaicin, Pure Capsaicin

A history would be cool. If you guys are into it I can even start a wiki.

Looking at Dave's online, it seems they still source to Costa Rica, so this is one of the original brands, so Scovie would be correct! Sorry Scovie! I knew Dave's was an original but didn't know it was part of the Costa Rican thing. I know there were various "Made in Costa Rica" brands, not sure who was first but looks like Dave's was one of them and is still around. 

The reason was, back then, they had the hab mash and co-packed,. No one in the USA did. So these were the first "HOT" sauces. Not so hot anymore. ;)

Melinda's was founded in 1989. Heh, I am reading a history of hot sauce by Dave Dewitt, he names every early player BUT Blair.  He has Dave in 92, Original Juan with their Pain series in 93', Mad Dog by Ashley Foods in 94 and CaJohn in 96.  I will confirm info on Blair as soon as I get it.

Yeah Melinda's I also believe is Costa Rican. Can you check?

I really didn't mean to start a "thing" about who was technically the first. There was always someone before. I mean, ketchup dates back to 17th Century China but Hunt's and/or Hienz made it popular. :rofl: :rofl:

Nah it's fun to talk about it. It's always debatable anyway, like those shows where 3 places claim to have the first burger. :lol:

Yeah it's interesting stuff.

I think we should call them waves.

The first wave of hot sauce was from Louisiana or Louisiana style.
The second wave was Costa Rican sauces made with a habanero mash or similar.
The third wave may have been extract? Dave's, of the second wave, adding extract. Blair's, etc.
The fourth wave was Red Savina hype.
The fifth and current wave was superhots (Dorset Naga and hotter), and niche/boutique style sauces popping up everywhere.

Feel free to adjust. :P

Mexican El Yucateca and Sriracha  were a part of that somewhere.

Hey!  De Witt didn't include Texas Creek, which was originally Cascade Salsa in 1995. :lol:

La Victoria's been around forever, I wouldn't call it a Louisiana style.  My mom always had a bottle of that in the fridge but never did Tabasco. 

Nice, except for me the first wave was the Asian sauces (and food) that I remember having in our fridge. Again, I am pretty much talking about "off the shelf" sauces. My first memory of anything other than Tabasco was some Asian (thai?) type chile sauce. Even in grade school my dad and me would try to outdo each other. We also ate at some really progressive (for the 70's) Chinese, Mongolian, Japanese, and Korean joints. Not the cheesy Chinese places with red plastic booths, linoleum floors and those paper Chinese horoscope placemats. Lol

Huy Fong actually had a Pepper Sate Sauce in the 70s.  I also forgot to mention Datil' Do it was around in the early 80s in FL.

Dude, it was a joke.  You come in chat and say fu to me every time, that is a joke too.  Scovie and I punch each other in the face when we come in, that is a joke.  You need to relax a little bit.  Damn.  I just assumed you are drunk because you are typing the way you are and posting all this stuff in a thread that has nothing to do with it.  Sorry.

JayT said:
Dude, it was a joke.  You come in chat and say fu to me every time, that is a joke too.  Scovie and I punch each other in the face when we come in, that is a joke.  You need to relax a little bit.  Damn.  I just assumed you are drunk because you are typing the way you are and posting all this stuff in a thread that has nothing to do with it.  Sorry.
im not even talking to you dude.  im erasing everything i posted.    whatever i could care less!

JayT said:
Melinda's was founded in 1989. Heh, I am reading a history of hot sauce by Dave Dewitt, he names every early player BUT Blair.  He has Dave in 92, Original Juan with their Pain series in 93', Mad Dog by Ashley Foods in 94 and CaJohn in 96.  I will confirm info on Blair as soon as I get it.

Melinda's was my first sauce that had any heat to it, lol.

I don't think extracts are bad. I'm making some right now. It's best used as an additive. The taste will depend on the extraction method and pepper used.

Dulac said:
It's best used as an additive.
As opposed to????

To me, a sauce with heat and the flavor of the pepper is better.
5 oz of sauce with one or two quality peppers is better than 5 oz of sauce with 2drops of tasteless (at best) extract. IMO

Back