• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

hot-sauce I just got f%^Ked for 4 hours by an extract sauce

Scoville DeVille said:
As opposed to????

To me, a sauce with heat and the flavor of the pepper is better.
5 oz of sauce with one or two quality peppers is better than 5 oz of sauce with 2drops of tasteless (at best) extract. IMO

As oppose to eating it on a chip or a spoon. The commercial sauce I use most (Blair's Shot to Hell) uses extract. It tastes great imo. You may also want to make a jalapeno sauce with a good kick. That's one reason I make extract. Some peppers taste good but are not that hot.

The Hot Pepper said:
F%^K extract sauces! NO MORE!

It knocked me out of commission for 4 hours. In severe pain. Brutal pain! I can take the "burning" of the mouth, with any pepper, and even an extract sauce. The problems come about 20 minutes later when you feel like devil is inside you with a chainsaw in one hand, and a flame thrower in the other. Burning and jabbing for 4 hours!
I believe I was called a wimp by you for starting a thread titled something along the lines of "what if its too hot I'm a crying little p***y" or something to that effect at least. So, allow me to return the favor!

WUSS!

...although I guess that makes me a wuss too but still...

Dulac said:
That's one reason I make extract. Some peppers taste good but are not that hot.
Blair's and other extract sauces suck. They have that ever so identifiable "metallic" flavor that over shadows anything that otherwise could be good tasting.

You make extract? Or is it a tincture? Extracting capcaisin is a very complicated, multi step process. Tinctures are simple and is basically concentrating the oils in Everclear and evaporate some of the liquid.

Scoville DeVille said:
You make extract? Or is it a tincture? Extracting capcaisin is a very complicated, multi step process. Tinctures are simple and is basically concentrating the oils in Everclear and evaporate some of the liquid.
+1 - I have a guide that I never finished because not many people seemed interested and I've been lazy, but even the part I did post is quite a lengthy process.

SD - have you performed a capsaicin isolation process before?

(If you don't have a New Year's resolution yet, I suggest you kick extract cold turkey!)

in this case i have no problem, i hate extracts and what happened to you clinches it even more for me, they taste like MOTOR OIL anyway
thanks your friend Joe

Scoville DeVille said:
Blair's and other extract sauces suck. They have that ever so identifiable "metallic" flavor that over shadows anything that otherwise could be good tasting.

I have to disagree with Blair's sauces sucking. I taste mostly red habanero and bhut jolokias in Blair's Shot to Hell.  Yeah, it's a tincture, which is a method of extraction.

impending_bending said:
+1 - I have a guide that I never finished because not many people seemed interested and I've been lazy, but even the part I did post is quite a lengthy process.

SD - have you performed a capsaicin isolation process before?
Oh HAAAEL No! hahaha That is Chemistry or VooDoo, I am not sure which. LOL

Dulac said:

I have to disagree with Blair's sauces sucking. I taste mostly red habanero and bhut jolokias in Blair's Shot to Hell.  Yeah, it's a tincture, which is a method of extraction.
Ahh. Blair's Shot to Hell... Never had that, but still not sure if I want to.
Not really wanting to start an argument but my understanding is that a Tincture is a form of extraction (concentration) which doesn't have that gasoline taste from true Distilled Extraction... stronger gasoline taste, less resulting volume, more heat, and more nasty. LOL

Just for information-

Left to right-
1 mil shu capsicum oleoresin (aka- extract)
15.2mil shu refined capsaicin powder
9.6mil shu capsaicin solution
1.5mil shu capsaicin solution
another larger bottle of 1.5mil shu capsaicin solution
cayenne & alcohol tincture

IMG_1992.JPG

IMG_1994.JPG

Quote from an extract manufacturer-
"Chile Oleoresin is extracted from Dried Red Chiles by Solvent Extraction process. Solvents used are Acetone, Hexane, Ethylene Di Chloride, Methanol, or Ethanol depending upon basic raw material quality and country of exports."

salsalady said:
Just for information-

Left to right-

attachicon.gif
IMG_1992.JPG

attachicon.gif
IMG_1994.JPG

"Chile Oleoresin is extracted from Dried Red Chiles by Solvent Extraction process. Solvents used are Acetone, Hexane, Ethylene Di Chloride, Methanol, or Ethanol depending upon basic raw material quality and country of exports."

That just sounds nasty. Makes me glad I haven't tried any oleorosin products yet. 

Scoville DeVille said:

Ahh. Blair's Shot to Hell... Never had that, but still not sure if I want to.
Not really wanting to start an argument but my understanding is that a Tincture is a form of extraction (concentration) which doesn't have that gasoline taste from true Distilled Extraction... stronger gasoline taste, less resulting volume, more heat, and more nasty. LOL

I honestly don't think we can argue about our different taste preferences. It also doesn't matter. Yeah, tinctures shouldn't give you a nasty taste. That's why I said it depends on the extraction method much earlier. I'm pretty sure you can extract it to the point of just having oil left. I haven't tried that yet. Has anyone given that a try?

there's a thread on here where someone did a soxhlet (sp?) extraction.  use the Search for sohxlet and it should come up.  

DefCon does a habanero extraction for something called Sludge.  

Scoville DeVille said:
lol so THATS what the lock of hair was for!

MeatHead1313 said:
That just sounds nasty. Makes me glad I haven't tried any oleorosin products yet. 
The solvent evaporates as long as it is made correctly so its not part of the final product. If in doubt or it still bothers you though, make it with ethanol.

Dulac said:
I'm pretty sure you can extract it to the point of just having oil left. I haven't tried that yet. Has anyone given that a try?
Which oil? In any case, yes. It is a pain in the ass. I made a post about it but never completed it. Some day I will...

I cried just looking at these pics.   :tear:

Then I laughed when I saw what happened to the header of this forum when this thread got bumped to the top. :rofl:

salsalady said:
Just for information-

Left to right-

attachicon.gif
IMG_1992.JPG

attachicon.gif
IMG_1994.JPG

Dave's Insanity Sauce got me and a friend good.

My friend tried about 1/4 - 1/3 table spoon's worth of sauce and he took it like a champ.
I tried about 1/4 - 1/3 table spoon's worth of sauce and took it like a champ.
But then not long after swallowing the sauce, a familiar pain set in in my stomach, a pain I knew from ingesting 1/3 of a dried Moruga pod, cap cramps.
I did have a tad of snacks inside me, but they were not enough, so I drank quite some milk and ate a cookie to dilute the capsaicin and quell the pain.

About half an hour later, my friend got his cap cramps, became unwell, could not eat things and threw up, in some ways a better fate than I would soon enough find out.
About an hour after the initial cap cramps, I suffered for one tot two hours of less intense, yet still painful enough cap cramps.

Be warned, cap cramps will ensue with extract sauces.
It's not a matter of when, but a matter of when, how much and did you eat well enough before ingesting the cap cramp sauce.

Back