• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

I look like someone famous

sometimes people resemble someone you know.

okay, i don't look like brad pitt or johnny depp but nor do i look like Rowan Atkinson(mr bean) or gilligan(bob denver), i do however look like one of the top 10 famous actors of today.

it doesn't matter, where ever i go, i always get the double take. things like parties are the worst, the double take then the gradual sneak, then the line....did anyone ever tell you.....

3 - 4 times per day, whether i am in a mall, grocery shopping or just out for a walk.

during the christmas holidays, we went to calgary's largest shopping mall(this is a city of 1 million plus people), we were looking for a christmas gift for my wife, i took my girls so my wife could browse by herself and out of the blue, a gentleman from Washington DC(visiting locally with his new found girl friend, found on a forum), they came right up to me and said....did anyone ever tell you, you look like....., we had a little discussion, they wanted to take my picture but i told them, it wouldn't work, it doesn't work in 2D, don't know why but in 3D, i'm the man. (i have taken pictures and tried to find the resemblance and can't see it, in a picture, no matter what angle i look at and i really am not photogenic)

I have no question to ask. I have been dealing with this for 20 years, as i put on weight and my hair adds its touch of grey, I look more and more like this individual, people literally say i could be this person's twin or brother.

my wife and i take it in strides now, originally, she would get really jealous, thinking girls were hitting on me but they weren't, just the resemblance was so strong, they thought they were in the presence of this famous individual. we have come to live with it and now joke about it daily.

I have had people tell me i should take beginners acting 101 and possibly pursue opportunities for famous imitators, like elvis, marilyn monroe etc., but the thought of making $100 for working a saturday morning at some function doesn't appeal to me(we don't need the money).

so, just think about it, the next time you are out and see someone that looks famous, yes it could be that person or it could be someone that just looks like a famous person, take a breath and think for a second, is it really going to change your life to come up and identify with the person?

Well you didn't mention who it was that they said you looked like but from your profile pic you kind of look like Robert De Niro.

Interesting, BC. sounds like you experience an "insiders view" of what it is like to be famous. It sounds like you think of it as a burden that you have learned to bear.

Your question suggests that you are asking folk to see a celebrity as just another guy, like you (which they are). Having been mistaken for someone else (though no one famous) -I always just find it amusing, though it happened nearly weekly for a couple of years.

I saw a show once where celebrities pretended to be not themselves, pretended they were you, essentially. I think they were amused when they had convinced their fans that hey werent 'that guy' -how peoples attitudes changed- and then watched the change again when they admitted they really were. It must have been insightful to see that the fame gave them a lustre that they wouldnt have otherwise.

I used to get a LOT of people telling me I look like Abraham Benrubi when he was in ER I had the same haircut and looking at him now its pretty close again.
mentreesabrahambenrubi8.jpg

I have a pastor friend who looks like Garth Brooks. In fact while we were in seminary someone from a local radio station spotted him and hired him as a double for a while.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs154.snc3/18138_1339620739158_1490365557_30921481_7212946_n.jpg
http://www.google.com/url?source=imgres&ct=img&q=http://genresmusic.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/GarthBrooks8x10.jpg&sa=X&ei=8ysrTfDHG8ennQedldnoDQ&ved=0CAQQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNGw1Qy_aO333-4L6jA_N2QABPmrPA

judging from BC's profile picture, I'd guess Emeril LaGasse? or de niro-

I take it as a compliment when people say I look like Jamie Lee Curtis, still working on that "Perfect" body though :(

I've never been one to go up to people like what happens to BC, but thanks for the reminder.

i was told at one point i looked like BO BRIDGES

IT WAS MY WIFE AND SHE WAS REFERENCING OUR AVATAR

THANKS JOE

I've been told I look like George Lopez. Besides the nose, the hair, the cheeks and round face, I don't understand why. :)

Sorry, i had to cough up the computer for most of the weekend, silly reason, the wife uses the wireless keyboard and mouse when she brings her work laptop home, so i lose the computer. she's the bread winner.

i didn't initially toss out the name because i posted the topic in the lounge and i wanted people to think, to use their imaginations(not about me and who i may look like but encounters that forum members may have found themselves in, that's what makes this forum so exciting).

the right answer is Robert De Niro. as i mentioned 2D pictures tend to lose the effect but in person....in person, i've been told i could pass for Mr. De Niro's brother, i think because most people wouldn't believe they would see Robert De Niro in Calgary, Alberta, Canada(can't be De Niro, must be his brother). but, the truth be known we have holywood celebrities passing through here all the time with the mountains. Banff and Lake Louise Albert are very popular resorts. I saw Cheryl Tiegs in Banff, Clint Eastwood made "the unforgiven here", brokeback mountain was made here.

. and yes, i do have fun with it. i have practiced the "are you talking to me" skit but to add fun, to see if people catch on, i point my fingers in the opposite. so, are you(i point at myself), talking to me(i point at the person who initated the "did anyone ever tell you").

Luckydog, if that is a picture of you, you do look the ER guy, if it was still on TV, i bet you would get more recognition.

I had to look up who Tony Shaloub is, not a big tv fan - except for the news.

i was told at one point i looked like BO BRIDGES

Isn't that the ugly brother? .........just kidding, Jeff is on one of the popular magazines this month - I think because of Tron.

Thanks to everyone who posted an experience or comment, I didn't go out today, not because I am avoiding people but its -15C outside but the windchill has it down to about -22C. But, I do have to visit the grocery store tomorrow, wonder what I will encounter.

Back