• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

I love living here

things like this just don't visit your yard in the US.......

CIMG0909.jpg

CIMG0906.jpg

I Love these birds, it's called a Mmoto, the come back year after year & burrow into the dirt wall outside my dining room window & lay a few eggs

CIMG5820.jpg

CIMG5824.jpg

CIMG6184.jpg

CIMG6203.jpg

Sloths are the coolest, this is in the front yard. I was petting this ones head.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA111111111111-11.jpg

So true. However, since moving to OH, I've seen some very different birds from when I lived in TX and CA. You can frequently find blue jays and cardinals here, for example, but I only ever rarely saw them in TX, and don't recall seeing any in southern CA. Great blue heron frequent the water hazards on the golf courses, and there is something which is a screaming yellow and black (not a goldfinch, but not sure what it is, most likely a warbler or prothonotary.) Occasionally an eagle can be found, which seems unusual. The one that takes me by surprise the most, though, is the wild turkeys. I've only seen them around here in the fall, but they're actually quite colorful, unlike the kinds I've seen on farms. I live on the border between suburbia and farmland, but still the houses are pretty tightly packed together. It still surprises me to occasionally look out the bay window in the front of the house and see deer antlers striding down the middle of the street, let alone big wild turkeys.

I do miss the egrets and hummingbirds that were in TX and CA, though. Just stunning birds, though the egrets are pretty dumb. Actually, quite dumb. An entire flock took themselves out on the wind shield of my car as I was driving down the highway one year when I lived in TX. (Which was horrifying and weirdly strange, all at the same time.)

I've always thought sloths were cool, though I've never seen one outside of a zoo. Very nice to be able to scratch the head of a wild one!

CR sounds nice, have a couple friends who live/lurk there part time. I'd love to get outta this dump someday. Hear the fishing is incredible. Not a fan of humidity though.

CR sounds nice, have a couple friends who live/lurk there part time. I'd love to get outta this dump someday. Hear the fishing is incredible. Not a fan of humidity though.

Gotta admit - I've never heard anyone call SD a dump. Used to visit from time to time when I lived in LA area. Some friends moved to the Poway area; it seemed nice enough.

I am very well thank you my Israeli compadre. Been a while eh? I hope you have been busy on patrol for hotty hots in Haifa!
Been way too long. I missed your clever replies and god-like cooking!
Lots of hotties indeed, but not in Haifa... Haifa sucks!

The fer de lance as a neighbor keeps you up at night and makes you step sprightly in Costa Rica......

IMG_4532.jpg

Thankfully they're only active in the daytime, I encounter at least 1 a month in the spring, summer, & fall. This one looks like he just had a few fat rats.

That is awesome, how long have you been living in CR?

4 1/2 years, I've been coming down here once a year, since 98' In early 2006 I decided I'd had enough of the US for a while. Don't get me wrong, I love the US if you cut I bleed red, white, & blue, (which is a good thing because the CR flag is the same colors) It just got too expensive to live where I did, so I went from the sub-tropics, (Fl Keys) to the tropics & haven't regretted it for a moment.

Back