• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

I love pierogies

Where da poppers? :D Oh, not dinner time on west coast.

Dough done, probably do it tomorrow :) (Fife flour)

GMpbwWy.jpg

Pierogies poppers

WICKED

My nearest market has a pretty good selection of them. Like small potstickers but with European fillings. The lamb and pork ones work surprisingly well for chili oil dumplings/wontons. They are super cheap when on sale. $3 gets a pretty nice sized bag. More than i can eat in one meal.

Here's the recipe I came up with for the Pierogie Poppers.

What you'll need: All purpose flour, salt, 1 egg, olive oil, milk (if making your own mashed potatoes) butter (if making your own mashed potatoes) potatoes (or store bought mashed potatoes to save time), bacon, pickled jalapenos, 5.2 ounce package gournay cheese (I used boursin red chili pepper gournay), shredded sharp cheddar cheese.

Dough: Combine 2 cups all purpose flour, 1 egg, 1/2 cup warm water, 1 teaspoon salt and 2 tablespoons olive oil in a mixing bowl and knead until smooth. Wrap in plastic and let rest for at least 30 minutes. If refrigerating dough, be sure to bring to room temperature before rolling. On a floured surface, Roll out dough to desired thickness (thinner, the better as it will slightly expand during cooking). Stamp out circular pieces with a cookie cutter or similar (I used a thin rimmed cup 3.5 inches wide).

Filling: Mix 1 and 1/2 cup mashed potato (i'll skip the how to make mashed potatoes as i'm sure you can figure that out), 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar, 5.2 ounces red chili pepper gournay cheese, 3/4 cup chopped cooked bacon, salt to taste, 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 tablespoon garlic powder and 1 teaspoon black pepper. Mix all ingredients thoroughly. You may need to add a little more milk or cream to achieve desired consistency. You want it smooth and creamy.

Spoon filling onto dough (about a golf ball size) and top with more shredded cheddar and pickled jalapeno. Apply a little water around the edges of dough with your finger and seal pierogies with a fork. When sealing, try to keep as much air out as possible as this can cause them to expand during cooking and burst.

Boil pierogies in salted water until they start to float (about 5 minutes give or take). Place boiled pierogis in a colander to drain and slightly dry.

Sprinkle pierogies with chili powder (or whatever you want) and place into a frying pan with either oil or butter (or a combination of the 2) and cook until slightly crispy and/or golden brown. Enjoy!

Check back for any edits cuz I didn't write any of this down and i'm going only off memory.

Back