• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

I need a new organization system

So I suspect I know what this is, and possibly how it happened (if not when).  I was walking around my garden today, checking things out.  I was pretty excited because my Habs started setting pods a few days ago.  They are mostly covered in leaves so I've had a hard time seeing them until today.  I took this pic of my grocery store habanero:

DSCF2140.jpg

and then I saw these:

DSCF2141.jpg

So are they what I think they are?  Definately not hab, right?

I havent mixed anything up yet, but I only have 42 plants.... my first start this year, I laid all the seed packets out and wrote down what varieties went ibto what cell of the tray as I did each one.... the other two starts, I went with plastic cups and wet paper towels.... similar to the tray, the name went on the lid as I did each one.... when planting in the beds, I wrote down each variety in a spreadsheet with where it went as I planted.... its possible to mix up the lids, I guess, but I only handle one variety at a time. But I ciuld see it getting time consuming and a hassle with a lot more plants or varieties, especially when rushed or you get on a role and don't want to stop or take a break....

The only other thing I have that resembles that and is currently setting pods are bhuts.  I didn't know whether to be angry or pleasantly surprised.  I did a count earlier in the season and I swear I had more bhut plants than I had original seeds.  I think my arithmetic maybe off.  I have one other "mystery pepper" that should have identifiable pods soon.  I suspect it actually is a hab. But who knows?

rhm3769 said:
I havent mixed anything up yet, but I only have 42 plants.... my first start this year, I laid all the seed packets out and wrote down what varieties went ibto what cell of the tray as I did each one.... the other two starts, I went with plastic cups and wet paper towels.... similar to the tray, the name went on the lid as I did each one.... when planting in the beds, I wrote down each variety in a spreadsheet with where it went as I planted.... its possible to mix up the lids, I guess, but I only handle one variety at a time. But I ciuld see it getting time consuming and a hassle with a lot more plants or varieties, especially when rushed or you get on a role and don't want to stop or take a break....
I have about 30 peppers, give or take, mostly in buckets.  When they were little they got moved around a lot and possibly switched or mislabeled during transplanting.  More bhuts survived all the handling than anything else (dorsets were a close second).  I'd like at least one regular hab plant this year.

Edit:  Just did a count.  With 5 bhuts and six dorsets, dorsets survived more, but not by much.  I planted at least 9 of each, but not more than 10, so they had a pretty good survivability rate through my mistakes. 
Reedit: just rembered I gave a bhut to one of my coworkers. That puts them about even. Now you see how these things happen?

the stems are really big and the little "leaf" that is under the stem ontop of the pepper sticks out more than  normal hab.  i just picked these up at the store today for some quick mango sauce less wrinkles  and more round..but your still growing
downsized_0711031116_zps408a8f2e.jpg

Pepperhead said:
I have about 30 peppers, give or take, mostly in buckets.  When they were little they got moved around a lot and possibly switched or mislabeled during transplanting.  More bhuts survived all the handling than anything else (dorsets were a close second).  I'd like at least one regular hab plant this year.

Edit:  Just did a count.  With 5 bhuts and six dorsets, dorsets survived more, but not by much.  I planted at least 9 of each, but not more than 10, so they had a pretty good survivability rate through my mistakes. 
Reedit: just rembered I gave a bhut to one of my coworkers. That puts them about even. Now you see how these things happen?
Yeah.... when I grew in pots last year, by the time I had to move them around and get the order mixed up, the plants already were producing and along with visual diffrrences, I couldn't get them mixed up....
Hmmmm, maybe something similar to the plastic cup method of mine? Probably more expensive in the long run, but a label in a ziploc bag or two and fixed to the pot or bucket? Somethjng similar to the plastic envelopes the post office puts on boxes for the customs forms and stuff? Pretty sure tgere are many methods each with benefuts and drawbacks and are limited to the attention to detail of the onr using them....

Threehundredc said:
where can i get those flat sticks you write the plant type on   i have alot of diffrent stuff coming up now and i have bad memory
Tongue depressors are in the craft section of Walmart, called "craft sticks" on my package. Use a sharpie to label. As wood is biodegradable, you will need to replace halfway into season with fresh sticks. I believe I paid about 88 cents for about 200 of them.

I use the Jiffy peat pots and write the names right on them.  At some point I was in a rush to transfer from the original little starter pods to the little peat pots.  Somehow they must have got switched then.  I put some in plastic cups, but my space is kind of limited, so I only use those when my smaller stuff is filled.  Found square "cow pots" at the Southern States that are like peat pots, but made from composted cow manure.  I think I'll stick to those next year.  Square pots fit more neatly together.

The plastic sticks can be found at Walmart for around 2 or 3 bucks in the garden section.  I should probably invest in more of those.

My money-conserving tip for making plant ID labels out of plastic is to buy (or find in your garage or closets) a couple of extra fill vane panels from a vertical blind and then cut them to appropriate length and width with kitchen scissors.  A single 7 foot length vane will yield about 100 plant labels.

KingLeerUK said:
My money-conserving tip for making plant ID labels out of plastic is to buy (or find in your garage or closets) a couple of extra fill vane panels from a vertical blind and then cut them to appropriate length and width with kitchen scissors.  A single 7 foot length vane will yield about 100 plant labels.
When I've finished with the disposable plastic cups, I cut them into strips and use those as labels.

Threehundredc said:
where can i get those flat sticks you write the plant type on   i have alot of diffrent stuff coming up now and i have bad memory
I use plastic great value spoons from walmart. About $2.50 for 100 spoons. I write on the back side of them with a sharpie.

Re-useable too!!

I keep track of everything I start from seeds in an spreadsheet.  When I pot up to 3-4 inch pots, I use duct tape and a sharpie to label each pot.  I do the same for the 3-5 gallon pots as well with duct tape and sharpie.  When I put some in the garden...its back to the excel spreadsheet :D

Back