• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

I need help with an ID

I bought a jalapeno from a grocery store saved the seeds planted them in a planter and nothing grew. so i went on to grow other sorts of plants (not peppers) then one day much later some strange seedlings appeared when i pulled one up it was growing from the jalapeno seed. now ive had these seedlings for probably 6 months and they have only grown to three or four inches and look like nothing i can find on the internet. Any input is greatly appreciated.
0110090531.jpg

gonna post the obvious...

that sure as heck ain't a jalapeno.. :lol:

wow you all got on this one quick...this was obviously the right place to go to. Its got little leaf like things coming from the white spots you see in the pic. it also has hairs coming from around the small leaves, rather then spikes like a cactus would have. But the small leaf like structures look almost like little mini jalapenos. And when i ate one of the smaller ones i had, it tasted like a jalapeno without the spice. so its very very confusing. im going to continue to grow them and see wat happens.

pepperpunk said:
wow you all got on this one quick...this was obviously the right place to go to. Its got little leaf like things coming from the white spots you see in the pic. it also has hairs coming from around the small leaves, rather then spikes like a cactus would have. But the small leaf like structures look almost like little mini jalapenos. And when i ate one of the smaller ones i had, it tasted like a jalapeno without the spice. so its very very confusing. im going to continue to grow them and see wat happens.
lol, green Jalapeños taste grassy... I personally like it, but that's the situation. most things green would taste the same. :lol:
The fact it has leaves means it's not a cactus, but a succulent. they're great ornamentals.

Omri's correct in that it's a succulent. The lower leaves resemble a jade plants leaves. Is the upper growth flat? I can't tell from the picture.

There are so many succulents on the market these days, you'd have to find someone who knows more about them than I do to get a good id. Have you considered taking it by a nursery that specializes in succulent or sending the picture to a web site that specializes in succulents?

Omri said:
I'm growing myself some H.Gordonii H.Ruschii. :)

Hoodia? I know it's all the rage in diet circles right now, but I haven't really looked at it to see if really works or just another boondoggle. Is it easy to grow?

Pam said:
Hoodia? I know it's all the rage in diet circles right now, but I haven't really looked at it to see if really works or just another boondoggle. Is it easy to grow?
To my defense, I got the seedlings from a Cacti collector (a huge one) that had me interested with "the flowers smell like sh*t" bit. didn't even know 'bout the diet thing, but the H.Gordonii is supposedly the one you're looking for if that's your thang. they're pretty easy to grow, they REALLY like fertilizers (unlike other succulents I've seen) and they take quite a few years to reach maturity. they do get huge, though.

Don't have any flowers at the moment, but the ones I've seen at the Cacti farm were BEAUTIFUL! they *did* smell like sh*t or more like rotten eggs, but that's ok. :)

Omri said:
To my defense, I got the seedlings from a Cacti collector (a huge one) that had me interested with "the flowers smell like sh*t" bit.

No need to defend, I like to grow unusual stuff, too. He Who Plagues gave me three chocolate trees for my birthday this year. They'll soon out grow my small house, but I think it would be cool if I could get them big enough to produce some beans before I have to give them to someone with more space.

didn't even know 'bout the diet thing, but the H.Gordonii is supposedly the one you're looking for if that's your thang. they're pretty easy to grow, they REALLY like fertilizers (unlike other succulents I've seen) and they take quite a few years to reach maturity. they do get huge, though.

I didn't know they were succulents, but I suppose that makes sense, they're from a desert area, aren't they? What part do you use, the leaves? Flowers? Seeds?

Don't have any flowers at the moment, but the ones I've seen at the Cacti farm were BEAUTIFUL! they *did* smell like sh*t or more like rotten eggs, but that's ok. :)

I'll look forward to seeing pictures.

Pam

Pam said:
No need to defend, I like to grow unusual stuff, too. He Who Plagues gave me three chocolate trees for my birthday this year. They'll soon out grow my small house, but I think it would be cool if I could get them big enough to produce some beans before I have to give them to someone with more space.
Now that's impressive. pics perhaps?
Pam said:
I didn't know they were succulents, but I suppose that makes sense, they're from a desert area, aren't they? What part do you use, the leaves? Flowers? Seeds?
They're "cacti-like", so it's kind of a technical thing. you basically peel the stem and eat the inside, like one would do with San Pedro for example.
Pam said:
I'll look forward to seeing pictures.

Pam
Pictures of the man himself (The guy is the Hoodia king!):
http://www.cacti.co.il/baran.htm
http://www.cacti.co.il/hoodia.htm

MAYAFLOR said:
It´s a opuntia sp. in spanich is called "nopal"
You two defy the word of Omri? HOW DARE YOU?!
There's a saying in Hebrew: "If two people tell you you're drunk, you should probably go to sleep..." :lol:
OK then, Opuntia it is... still doesn't look like a 'Ficus Indica' to me and I'm not that drunk (I hope :shocked:). what species is it then?

4000 you say? that's mighty impressive. I too grow cacti and succulents, just not the same kind as you do... ;)

Back