• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

I think I messed up......Info please.Im a newbe

I have a bad bug problem in my back yard.I used antibacterial soap to spray my plants down.and today they all look like there dying.Will antibacterial soap kill my plants or will they stay alive??
Please help.:oops::oops:

:think:I'm not sure, but if you are worried, I would hose them off with the garden hose. It will probibly leave a mild residue that shouldn't hurt.

I would imagine that the antibacterial content usually an alcohole of some sort will be a bit much for the plants it would probably burn them. Like WGB and SS said give the plants a really good rinse with tap water and hopefully they will recover. You should only be using a mild soap mixed in water to get rid of the bugs.

Good luck with the recovery of all the plants

Jas

sounds like your going through what just happened to me, I had a bad bug infestation then sprayed with a soap and neem mixture then got black dots and crap on my leaves. I think I had too much neem in the mix. the plants should recover fine.

WickedMojo said:
sounds like your going through what just happened to me, I had a bad bug infestation then sprayed with a soap and neem mixture then got black dots and crap on my leaves. I think I had too much neem in the mix. the plants should recover fine.

I was not aware that neem was harmfull to plants.

uhhh-
No soap. Plants aren't people. If you don't want to use insecticides, then use neem oil as directed, not soap.

That may work but soapy water does work on aphids and the like. It's not for the plants them selves but to get rid of the bugs. A mild enough soap will not harm the plants what so ever. I usually use a baby soap that is friendly on the eyes as it tends to be quite gentle on the plants.

if you use soap with the neem, you should use the mildest you can get the only one i know of is ivory dish soap then 1 teaspoon per quart of water. water should be chlorine
free. if don't want to buy it, make your own, set water out side for 24 hr and you can add a small fish tank pump in the bucket. the bigger the bubbles the better. soap mixed with anything will help keep on the leaves. neem is an oil need some help to mix. baby soap
is also good.

FadeToBlack said:
I was not aware that neem was harmfull to plants.

its not unless unless you dont mix it right, I think I had too much neem in my water, I don't think the neem itself does the damage but if its too strong and collects on certain parts of leaves the sun helps it bake the leaf kinda like cooking oil. I could be wrong but I know of at least 3 other ppl who had a similar experience after spraying for aphids.

If I ever have the need for foliar application, hmmm sounds kinda erotic:P

Its only ever done at dusk.........;)

This gives plenty of time for the application to do its stuff and hopefully evaporate before sunrise begins

Ive had very bad results using veg oil, but the good old sunlight soap works a treat as does the neem oil.

hth

billyboy:)

Back