• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

I think I've found a MH/HPS system...Ordered my system today!

I'm in contact with this person who has a used 400 watt MH/HPS Sun System ballast/reflector.  I'm still waiting for more info on the ballast, i.e., model, so I can look up some reviews online. 
Will the 6" reflector be an issue for me in terms of space coverage?  Can it be replaced with a larger one?  Would this system cover a 4x4 area with the 6" reflector? 

Any issues with this particular brand?

I'm talking about using it for seedlings, maybe for a couple of grown plants later on.  I'm thinking $80 will take it.  Thanks again. 

http://medford.craigslist.org/grd/4354076065.html

A 400 will has a 4x4 foot print

MH and HPS grow lights come in the following Watt sizes; 50W, 100W, 150W, 175W, 250W, 400W, 600W,1000W and 1500W.A general rule of thumb for selecting the correct wattage grow light is to determine the size and shape of your garden area. Since grow lights emit a relatively square pattern of light, it is best to consider each light as covering a square of garden. Here is a list of the coverage each size grow light will provide.
  • 50W = 1.5' x 1.5'
  • 100W = 2' x 2'
  • 250W = 3' x 3'
  • 400W = 4' x 4'
  • 600W = 5' x 5'
  • 1000W = 6' x 6'
  • 1500W = 8' x 8'

Brain Strain Pepper Head said:

A 400 will has a 4x4 foot print

MH and HPS grow lights come in the following Watt sizes; 50W, 100W, 150W, 175W, 250W, 400W, 600W,1000W and 1500W.A general rule of thumb for selecting the correct wattage grow light is to determine the size and shape of your garden area. Since grow lights emit a relatively square pattern of light, it is best to consider each light as covering a square of garden. Here is a list of the coverage each size grow light will provide.
  • 50W = 1.5' x 1.5'
  • 100W = 2' x 2'
  • 250W = 3' x 3'
  • 400W = 4' x 4'
  • 600W = 5' x 5'
  • 1000W = 6' x 6'
  • 1500W = 8' x 8'

Thanks.  How does the reflector's size factor in as far as area covered is concerned, or does it? 

No the reflector is factored in unless you hang a bare bulb. I use 1000 watters bare bulbs hanging straight not on its side and i get a 12 foot circle. Going to buy 2 light movers to cover more area.

So, you're saying the 6" reflector will produce a 4x4 square?  I guess it would depend on how high the light is from the ground, right?

rebelgrower3 said:
The 6" part refers to the air inlet and outlet not the size of the actual reflector itself.
Aah!!!  So, are reflectors for a 400 watt bulb usually a standard size, i.e., 6"?  I'm learning.

Does anybody have any experience with Sun Systems?

I have a 6" Air-Cooled Sun Systems "Lowrider" reflector.  It's a great reflector for the money and I wouldn't think twice about buying another one.  The YieldMaster II by them is probably one of the most well known reflectors on the market right now and Sun Systems reflectors are some of the most used.  I'm running a Quantum 400W digital ballast with a 400W Digilux MH bulb and I'm having great results in both ambient and air-cooled configurations without the included glass.

Here's the one that I'm currently running:

Sun Systems Lowrider Reflector

Thanks. I appreciate it. The guy is now asking $90. He says the ballast is "new", whatever that really means...If it's still availabe Monday, I think I will buy it. I'll report back.

Judging by the picture, it looks like he's selling a YieldMaster reflector with a Sun Systems MH 400W ballast.  The ballast he's put in the picture is not a switchable / digital ballast and will only run MH bulbs.  All of those ballasts appear to be older MH ballasts so you'll definitely want to test them out before buying.

Thanks

All the ballast pictured are switchable the gold one on the left is on top the next one is on the end kinda centered toward the top and the one on the right is lower right under the socket plug. The center one which I'm guessing is the 400 is a little hard to see but it's switchable.

rebelgrower3 said:
All the ballast pictured are switchable the gold one on the left is on top the next one is on the end kinda centered toward the top and the one on the right is lower right under the socket plug. The center one which I'm guessing is the 400 is a little hard to see but it's switchable.
These are magnetic ballasts, right?

rebelgrower3 said:
Sorry for the mistake. I was looking back at older pictures and got confused. Thanks for clearing that up. Once again, sorry for the confusion.

Yea there magnetic not digital. They are great ballast just run hotter than a digital but very reliable ballast. $90 for the whole setup is a good price if everything works.

That one would have to be modified some but if your handy with wiring and such could be a good deal. If it were me and i had the money I'd go with the other one but that one could be made to work.

rebelgrower3 said:
That one would have to be modified some but if your handy with wiring and such could be a good deal. If it were me and i had the money I'd go with the other one but that one could be made to work.
Apparently, it will run on household current.  What other wiring would be necessary?  It will need a plug.  Otherwise, what makes the other unit worth almost 5 times as much?  Just asking.  Thanks.

Just measured my grow space, and it is exactly 4'x4'.  How much space between a MH light and seedlings is necessary?

If you have a strong place to hang the whole unit you will just need to wire a plug to plug it in. If not you will have to separate the ballast from the hood and socket. As for as how far to keep it from seedlings I'd say about 2' above them.

Back