• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

I will be trying to make real chili...no beans!!I need help??

I have always eaten regular chili from a can or what MoM made and it was ok..
I am now 32 and have found myself eating ALOT of hot sauce and peppers .
I also cook the same dish untill i do it better than anyone has tasted it.
this somtimes falls into the hands of people that like the way they are used to a dish rather than how it should taste!!
I want to eat real chili .
so i have downloaded a recipe that won 25 grand in a contest and i see and read that beans have no place in chili ...maybe under it but not in it.
just meat gravy and spice.
so here i go.
what is tri tip beef and can i use ground steak??
also is it better to put it in the grinder or maybe use a food processor??
I have a very good friend that will cut me any piece of the cow i want and process it any way i want so what is best??
thanks for the help.

shayne

This one is one of my favorites.

---------------------
COWBOY CHILI

(6 to 8 servings)

Dan Bauer says this competition recipe also makes a good eating chili if you add a couple of cans of pinto beans, including the liquid, and serve it over pasta. "I also like to sprinkle a little grated cheddar cheese and chopped onion on top of the whole mess," he notes.

Bauer combines four different kinds of ground red chili peppers. It's your job to figure out which ones.

FOR SPICE BLEND NO. 1:
1 1/2 tablespoons onion powder
1 teaspoon MSG (optional)
1/4 teaspoon jalapen~o powder
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 tablespoons ground chili powder
1 teaspoon Creole seasoning

FOR SPICE BLEND NO. 2:
1/2 teaspoon MSG (optional)
6 tablespoons chili powder (no salt)
1/2 teaspoon Mexican oregano
1/2 teaspoon marjoram
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon Season-All
1 bay leaf

FOR SPICE BLEND NO. 3:
1 tablespoon ground red chili pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
FOR THE CHILI:
3 pounds beef chuck or sirloin tri-tip, cut in 3/8-to-1/2-inch cubes
3 teaspoons bacon fat
14.5-ounce can chicken broth
1 teaspoon red hot sauce
1 teaspoon green hot sauce
8-ounce can spicy tomato sauce
Spring water as needed
8-ounce can mild tomato sauce
14.5-ounce can beef broth
1 tablespoon beef bouillon crystals
1 tablespoon chicken bouillon crystals
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
Salt to taste
2 pinches brown sugar

Assemble the three spice mixtures in separate small bowls and set aside.

For the chili: In a medium skillet, brown the meat in three batches, using 1 teaspoon of bacon fat for each. As each batch cooks, sprinkle with 1/3 of spice blend No. 1. Add the meat to a large chili pot, along with the chicken broth, hot sauces and spicy tomato sauce. Bring to a boil, cover and cook over medium heat, adding spring water as needed, for 1 hour, or until the meat is almost tender.

While the meat is cooking, combine in a saucepan all of spice blend No. 2 with the mild tomato sauce, 1/2 can beef broth, the beef and chicken bouillon crystals, Worcestershire sauce and enough of the remaining beef broth to make a medium-thick sauce. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Cover and remove from the heat.

After the meat has cooked, add the contents of saucepan to the chili pot. Bring to a boil, turn off the heat and let the pot rest, covered, for an hour or so.

Then bring the pot back to a boil and add all of spice blend No. 3. Adjust the consistency of the chili with spring water, taste for salt and add brown sugar as needed. Cook for 30 minutes longer, stir well and serve.

Per serving (based on 8): 571 calories, 40 gm protein, 22 gm carbohydrates, 37 gm fat, 133 mg cholesterol, 13 gm saturated fat, 844 mg sodium
----------------------------

Never been in to Cinci chili, but I do add a little pintos when doing local non sanctioned cookoffs, and at home.

hmmmmmmm i wonder it says in the recipe jalapen~o powder if that is just regular jalapeno powder with a mistake or like a name brand of jalapeno powder???? anyone know.
this is a intresting recipe seems a little complex when i started cooking chili one guy said kiss......keep it simple stupid

xgrafcorex said:
i think it just was written like that because there is that curved line above the n, it's called eñe.

That's the way I took it as well.
I just used a lil freshly smoked chipotle's that I ground up instead.

This may come as a surprise to some of you, but chuck is the best beef for Chile con Carne. The reason is that it takes a good long cooking time and has by far the best flavor. The other cuts mentioned - porterhouse and tenderloin for e.g. - are great on the grill or pan fried, but are lost and wasted when cooked into a Chili. I never make Chili with anything other than chuck.

We like New Mexico style Chile con Carne in these parts. Like Texan Chili, it never has beans in it. There are many variations but all use New Mexico chile either fresh or dried as the main component in the sauce.

Some of the hot NM Chile I've had will knock your socks off and then some, but always has a superb flavor. I'm surprised few or none on this forum ever mention it. Perhaps it's just a well-kept secret that we don't want to share!

AZCook said:
This may come as a surprise to some of you, but chuck is the best beef he other cuts mentioned -....
porterhouse and tenderloin for e.g. - are great on the grill or pan fried, but are lost and wasted when cooked into a Chili.

In general I agree here. However one thing that really is important is that the meat needs to be hung and mature. Unless the beef really has the flavour it just becomes a vehicle to carry the spice.. Of course fat / marbling is important as well (non in tenderloin). My butcher starts selling his beef at 14 days..

AZCook said:
This may come as a surprise to some of you, but chuck is the best beef for Chile con Carne. The reason is that it takes a good long cooking time and has by far the best flavor. The other cuts mentioned - porterhouse and tenderloin for e.g. - are great on the grill or pan fried, but are lost and wasted when cooked into a Chili. I never make Chili with anything other than chuck.

We like New Mexico style Chile con Carne in these parts. Like Texan Chili, it never has beans in it. There are many variations but all use New Mexico chile either fresh or dried as the main component in the sauce.

Some of the hot NM Chile I've had will knock your socks off and then some, but always has a superb flavor. I'm surprised few or none on this forum ever mention it. Perhaps it's just a well-kept secret that we don't want to share!

New Mexico chile? What are you talking about? There's no such thing!!! ;)

DD ...I think dude is referring to dried Hatch chile's. Case could also be made for the New Mex Big Jim as both are standard New Mex chili's. I had some Hatch's 'bout a month ago fresh, and they rocked. Dried, I think they might be dang' good. AZC is that correct? Cheers, TB.

Well... I did put the "wink" in there. Maybe [sarcasm] No such thing!! [/sarcasm] would work better.

Green chili stew...mmmmmmmm!

Chili fixins..

Hi Shayne, I have just joined and seen your question and would like to give you our thought. We cook competion chili and there are no beans allowed in competion. But I personally like beans when I eat chili, so it is your prefrence in you are not competing in a santioned event. We have always had our butcher grind us up some chuck chili grind and it works great! We never had much luck nor liked using the "cut" meat theory. I hope this may give you some in sight. Check out our web site at www.blackgoldchili.com to find other resources as well as competion locations if you decide to give it a try.
Best of luck!

shayneyasinski said:
this somtimes falls into the hands of people that like the way they are used to a dish rather than how it should taste!!
so i have downloaded a recipe that won 25 grand in a contest and i see and read that beans have no place in chili ...maybe under it but not in it.
so here i go.
I have a very good friend that will cut me any piece of the cow i want and process it any way i want so what is best??
thanks for the help.

shayne

laststandchili said:
Chuck shoulder. The gold standard for chili.

Personally get all my spices from Penderys in DFW.

Pecos Red is a nice all purpose powder.

there is another good supliers of spices called mild bills

im pretty sure its www.mildbills.com

they have good stuff and they are super nice

thanks for all the help.
I have been cooking and trying new things and ways of making chili.
when I am on my next US holiday I plan on timing it with at least one major comp to try the pros stuff.
again thanks for all the help.
I was also wondering if there is a kit you could buy that has the exact winning spices and whatever you would need to do it at your end of the world.

shayne

pendrys i think had some kits by past champions and on the casi website has past champions recipes but i wonder to myself if this is the "actual" recipe or not??? i mean comon folks lets get real if i won the interntaional championship you couldn't pry the recipe out of me with a crow bar.

shayneyasinski said:
so here i go.
thanks for the help.

shayne
hi shayne,
the highlited part of your post made me decide to weigh in here for you.
New Mexico is well known for excellent chili,and after liveing here for 25 years ,Id have to agree its some of the best in the world for pleaseing flavors.
Red or Green?
now that is truely the question in The Land of Enchantment.
for me it depends on the season and if the chili is fresh.
summer/fall its gotta be green man,
but in the winter its Red Chili and thats my personal favorite...
Sandia/Annaheim/Big Jim and several Pueblo Varieties all make for excellent dried RED Chili pods as well as super tastey roasted green chili.{rabbit/elk/antelope/fresh roadkill :lol: }
we just soften dried red pods in hot water,then blend,then strain off red sauce...add that to whataever meat you like ,or just corn tortillas flat,with cheese in between and a fried egg on top...Thats New Mexico.
just the pure sauce man its a base for everything we eat out west.

pablo

No Bean Chili

chop an onion, a couple cloves garlic, a jalepeno :hell:, sweat em in a skillet till the onions are just starting to brown
get stew meat, flour it, brown it in a skillet a little at a time
put all that in a big ol pot add some salt pepper,
4tbls. chili powder, 2tsp. cummin, 2tsp. oregano and 1 big can crushed tomatoes, I like to sqeeze the whole ones myself and let em squirt all over ( it's fun)bring to a boil add tom. juice if needed lower heat, LOWER HEAT, cook slow, stir alot, thicken with corn flour slurry (corn flour mixed with a little water, 3 to 1 ratio) reg flour will work. u r done when meat falls apart easily, thats it a simple no beans chili recipie add whatever u want adjust whatever U want that's the great thing about chili.
and remember we used to make thios stuff out on the range while cattle rustling ... I mean herding. LOL
HAVE FUN

Back