• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

I wonder....

So there I was in the local Chinese restaurant yesterday, chowing on their wonderful buffet. Mmmmm, General Tso's chicken, and I noticed a little hot pepper pod. Years ago I would eat them, crazy me.

When I got home, I thought, I wonder if I could have taken that little pod tried to grow the seeds? It must be some type of pequin pepper.

Please, don't laugh.

This summer I hosted a fourth of July party, complete with home made beans that I soaked overnight, preboiled them, then cooked all day in the crock pot. There were mischievous kids playing in my flower pots on the back porch.

A week later, I found these random bean plants growing from them. After all that cooking , they germinated into healthy plants? Blimey!

I'm shocked that the beans sprouted. I would be even more shocked if the peppers sprouted.

I have heard of people trying to germinate store bought red chile pepper,and having little success. Only because of the way it's dried.

After the bean situation, I thought, it's a dried pod, probably hasn't gone much farther than the sun, or a partially hot oven.

I have heard of people trying to germinate store bought red chile pepper,and having little success. Only because of the way it's dried.

After the bean situation, I thought, it's a dried pod, probably hasn't gone much farther than the sun, or a partially hot oven.

And then of course, a wok.

Back