• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

ID a pepper by name...

The guy that delivered chinese food to my door took note of all my pepper plants and asked if I had heard of a specific pepper that originated from where he came from.  He did not have an english-ish name for the pepper, so I asked him to write down the name.  This is what he wrote.  A search of google (as best I can) did not reveal what pepper he was speaking of, so I was hoping that with all the expertise floating around on TheHotPepper, someone might recognize this name and perhaps direct me to a source!

Thanks for looking.

IMG_5329.JPG

ot hiem is vietnamese for birds eye pepper, the problem is variation of the term bird's eye being so great and spans many types of pepper varieties.

a friend of mine from vietnam, returned to his home and brought back chili's he grew up with and grows them in vancouver,bc. on a visit a decade ago, he gave me some and i have grown them since. when i first joined the hot pepper forum i posted a pepper id request, turns out this pepper that my friend grew up with was a goatsweed and like many other peppers, he just called them chili's. funny, several years later he called me and asked if i had saved any seeds from what he had sent me as he had lost his seeds, yep, sent him his goatsweed, along with several super hots.

here is a wiki for you for reference.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bird's_eye_chili

Back