• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Ideas for 7 Pot yellow sauce

Ive got

7 Pot yellows....obviously
A yellow bell pepper
A couple ripe apricots but im considering Asian pear instead
Shallots, garlic and onions
Pretty much any vinegar you can imagine...well almost and some are WAY too expensive to use for hot sauce.
Fresh limes
Crystallized ginger...candied...whatever you want to call it :D
Lots of whole spices.

This is going to be a test batch with about 10 of the 7 Pots. Not really wanting it sweet. Just enough sugar to balance the acids.

Did you sort the vinegar choice? It's obscure but I might use white balsamic in something like that.

Cane is a no go unless you want to emphasise the garlic over the fruit. It's great for srirachas and Chipotle sauces though.

Cider gives a definite fruitiness but it might be a bit sharp compared to the apricots.

I'd say your best bet if you want a vinegar to accentuate the fruit you have would be something white grape based. Either white wine or white balsamic. Rice wine is also good, though, adding a bit less flavour but more sweetness.

I mixed 50/50 Roland's Dry and Crisp white wine vinegar (7%) and brown rice vinegar (4.5%). I think i got the pepper/veggie/fruit blend REALLY close although it turned out slightly sweeter than expected.

The allspice and cloves i left whole and removed them before i put it in the Mason jar. The cloves came close to being too much but paired well with the apricot. This would make a killer pepper jelly with just some added sugar and pectin. Its also nowhere near as hot i imagined. I did deseed the 7 Pots because i needed the seeds but i left the seeds in most of the Citos.

Final recipe

15 7 Pot Yellows (deseeded because i needed the seeds)
biggrin.gif

20 Aji Citos
1 Yellow bell
6 yellow/white baby carrots...about the size of your pinky finger
2 small apricots
Half a medium white or yellow onion
3-4 garlic cloves
1/2 TSP salt
1-2 TBS lime juice
1/2 TBS candied ginger
4 Whole fancy cloves
4 Whole Allspice berries
1/4 TSP Turmeric
Mix of dry white wine vinegar and brown rice vinegar. Cut 50/50 with water. Add just enough to cover the "mash"
Bring to a boil and simmer for 45min.
Total pepper and veggie weight is 500 grams

Adjust with lime juice, salt and sugar after blending and resting in the fridge for a couple days.

The Hot Pepper said:
Nice golden color! Not sure why SL is dragging on about color ( :lol: ;) @sl).

You Started It!!!  :razz:  :lol:

Nice looking sauce.  The final recipe sounds really good. 

Drum Roll Please!!!!

Added 2.5 tbs fresh squeezed lime juice, 1/4 tsp ascorbic acid and another 1/2 tsp of sea salt....Could probably use a tad more salt but.......The burn comes on rather slow due to the sweetness. It does however linger for several minutes but never reaches "agony" levels.  At first you know there is fruit in it but its not obvious what kind of fruit. About the time you almost have an idea what kind...BAM...the heat is beginning to kick in. :D

oeiUOnL.jpg

cslnIpa.jpg

3nrFIBf.jpg

I think im going to call it....

ApriCito 7 since the chinense flavor is very faint which i find a bit odd. When fresh the 7 Pots had a strong aroma but it did not carry over into the final product. My tolerance must be increasing too because i dont find it to be brutally hot. I was hoping for a bit more "umph" actually.

ShowMeDaSauce said:
Those red Early jalapenos were insanely delicious btw. Really sweet but the heat was toned down a great deal.

Its brutally hot outside atm but im trying to go to the store and get a smallish 2qt slow cooker for making hot sauce. I normally dont make much over a quart at a time so it should be fine. My range does not vent to the outside so fumes absolutely kill me.

For this sauce i do really want to preserve the yellow/orange color so im going to use the whole yellow bell also.
Seeds or no seeds/pith?
Edit:read the whole thread :)

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Back