• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Identifying deficiency

Hi guys,

Having a bit of trouble with one of my Datil plants.

I diagnosed it as a maganese deficiency.

What do you all think?

aeecd369f2d6126b34c01e1a790af129.jpg

aac9719ad2dd3dffab4af12cc6081140.jpg

360669d8adde44cec3fdbaec7c9ea333.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

HostileBuddha said:
Hi guys,

Having a bit of trouble with one of my Datil plants.

I diagnosed it as a maganese deficiency.

What do you all think?

I don't think that's manganese deficiency.
Instead of letting everyone take stabs, let's try to figure out what's going on.  What are your nutrients?  What are you conditions? (looks like outdoor grow - why are the leaves so wet?)  PH of soil?  Shade or sun?
When asking for advice on possible deficiencies, it's always best to provide as much info as you can, upfront.

solid7 said:

I don't think that's manganese deficiency.
Instead of letting everyone take stabs, let's try to figure out what's going on.  What are your nutrients?  What are you conditions? (looks like outdoor grow - why are the leaves so wet?)  PH of soil?  Shade or sun?
When asking for advice on possible deficiencies, it's always best to provide as much info as you can, upfront.
Thanks for the advice.

It is indeed outdoors in mostly full sun. The PH is at 7, I use bat Guano mixed in water for feeding every 10 days. I also give a foliar feeding of Epsom salt every 7-10 days.

I did have an aphid infestation last week but got rid of them with soap/Tobasco mix.

I just added some bone meal to the soil and watered it in that's why the leaves are wet.

HostileBuddha said:
Thanks for the advice.

It is indeed outdoors in mostly full sun. The PH is at 7, I use bat Guano mixed in water for feeding every 10 days. I also give a foliar feeding of Epsom salt every 7-10 days.

I did have an aphid infestation last week but got rid of them with soap/Tobasco mix.

I just added some bone meal to the soil and watered it in that's why the leaves are wet.

With regards to the epsom salt, if you don't have a legitimate requirement - as in an actual diagnosed deficiency - I personally wouldn't recommend it - especially every 7-10 days.  It's not that it's detrimental, per se, but if your plant doesn't absolutely need it, I'd be more worried about spraying foliage, and inviting fungus or bacterial growth.  If your plant doesn't need it, anyway, you are just making the leaves wet, because the plant won't use it, if it isn't needed.  Even so, putting it into the soil would be the more efficient method.

The picture with the torn leaf just looks like it just coincides with the edge of your container.  Could have been wind, animal, accidental mishandling, etc.  As for the rest, I'd hate to tell you that you have something severe, like leaf spot.  (it could be insect damage)  But I'd definitely keep an eye on it, and possibly use a fungicide, if it gets worse - but not before discontinued wetting of the foliage.  Keep an eye on it.

The bone meal probably isn't going to do much good, as it's really not readily available, and takes quite a awhile to become so.  If you want to stay organic, and actually feel (based on a test, preferably) that you need phosphorus supplementation, then another type of bat quano would be considerably more effective. (there is a difference in guanos, depending on the diet of the bats - and you can build some fantastic fertilizers from them)

solid7 said:

With regards to the epsom salt, if you don't have a legitimate requirement - as in an actual diagnosed deficiency - I personally wouldn't recommend it - especially every 7-10 days.  It's not that it's detrimental, per se, but if your plant doesn't absolutely need it, I'd be more worried about spraying foliage, and inviting fungus or bacterial growth.  If your plant doesn't need it, anyway, you are just making the leaves wet, because the plant won't use it, if it isn't needed.  Even so, putting it into the soil would be the more efficient method.

The picture with the torn leaf just looks like it just coincides with the edge of your container.  Could have been wind, animal, accidental mishandling, etc.  As for the rest, I'd hate to tell you that you have something severe, like leaf spot.  (it could be insect damage)  But I'd definitely keep an eye on it, and possibly use a fungicide, if it gets worse - but not before discontinued wetting of the foliage.  Keep an eye on it.

The bone meal probably isn't going to do much good, as it's really not readily available, and takes quite a awhile to become so.  If you want to stay organic, and actually feel (based on a test, preferably) that you need phosphorus supplementation, then another type of bat quano would be considerably more effective. (there is a difference in guanos, depending on the diet of the bats - and you can build some fantastic fertilizers from them)
Thanks! This is my first year going organic for fert so it's a lot of trial and error. I do use "Grow Crazy Bat Guano" as a general fert but will look into other types. This is what I use:
a90dcdb2a5bd1b0edf7b3d1fd74e463a.jpg

HostileBuddha said:
Thanks! This is my first year going organic for fert so it's a lot of trial and error. I do use "Grow Crazy Bat Guano" as a general fert but will look into other types. This is what I use:

Heya,
If you're going the organic route then supplying nitrogen will be fairly easy (just mulch with leaves and stems)

The other minerals can be supplied very easily using seeds. The best are alfalfa seeds, popcorn seeds, barley seeds and mung beans.
Soak the seeds in water for 24h then sprout them until the root is about double the length of the seed. Then put them in a blender with some water to grind them into a paste. Simply add this into your watering can when you water them.

If you want to look into what specific nutrients the seeds have, simply google "alfalfa seed nutrition" for example.
There is a picture tutorial here: https://buildasoil.com/blogs/news/12607517-using-b-a-s-barley-for-enzyme-tea-tutorial

first pic, imo, it looks like a place where water naturally gathers due to the shape of the leaf, and so its rotted a bit. Would not worry. You can cut the leaf in half and remove that bit if you want but unless thats consistent accross the plant I would not worry.
second pic looks like a tear from something..the wind, an animal brushing past it etc
last pic..plant could maybe need little bit of fert but its not struggling imo. outside plants will naturally get a bit of wear n tear

cheers 

Back