• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Identifying Peppers

This is my first real year for growing peppers. I am lucky to have a couple of acres of real good soil and great growing season here in Texas. I went all out this year and planted about 30 plants. Some I started from seeds some plants I bought and planted. I tried to keep a label for each plant. I had 24 plants that made it. What I am finding out is that for some reason my labels don't seem to match some of my plants. For instance I have a plant listed as a Jalepeno. I have about 5 Jalepeno plants but this one looks different. Instead of the end being rounded it looks wrinkled almost like some pictures of some Habenero's. And it is 10 times hotter than any of the other plants. They are all green but I am waiting to see if they turn a yellow or red color. I didn't have any of my Habenero plants make it but this one seems to be one. I also have a plant that is listed as a Cayenne. It made a pepper that turned orange. My brother bit into one the other day and almost died. He said it was hotter than nine kinds of you know what but he also said it had a taste that he described as like pancake syrup. I added one to a sauce I made and gave it a great sweet really hot flavor. I planted a pumpkin Habenero that didn't make it but was wondering if this might be from that plant. I have some Poblano peppers that were suppose to be mild that I grew for stuffing but they turned out way too hot for some of my family and they consider them a Hot pepper.
Anyway I have had a blast with all of the plants but didn't know I was going to have so many questions about a lot of the plants and how difficult it was going to be to keep them organized. There have been some really neat surprises in my garden.

It's easy for Peppers to hybridise maybe that's what happened somehow.

BTW-I have had a Jalapeno/Habanero cross that a friend produced by accident-it was much as you describe-excellent fruit and quite strong.

It has been really fun even though I am mainly expierimenting. I made one sauce out of 3 different red peppers and strained it for a pepper sauce. I made one sauce out of yellow/orange peppers. Fresno, Las Cruces, Bananna and Cayenne and it turned out really good. Made another sauce out of Jalepeno and Serrano's. These I kept thick and now use them in all types of recipes for a little kick. We have also been drying some peppers. I am going to put a bunch in my smoker this weekend. I never knew there were so many peppers with so many different flavors until I started this garden. Thanks for the info.

Back