• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

ID'ing peppers once in the garden?

I have about 25 plants of 15 different varieties going into my garden after this weekends cold snap moves on. (rain/snow mix in may? really? hopefully the sweetcorn doesn't sprout before then) :banghead:

What do you guys use to ID multiple pepper plants in your garden after transplants?

My best idea so far is to get some 2x2 lumber from home depot and write the plant name on a stake to pound in next to the plant. i figure some of the varieties might need some support, it would be great if i don't have try and save the pepper plant after the wind blows it over.

Thanks,
Bob

any thing i good thats gonna last make sure your marker you use won't faDE in the sunlight i learned that the hard way.

Complete newbie here, but I would think a 1"x2" fir with a point cut on end would work. You may be able to find them at your local mens toy (hardware) store made as stakes ready to go with a point cut on the end. mark with a sharpie, or get some thin plastic sheet from craft store cut into 2"x4" or so rectangles and mark with sharpie and attach as a "flag" on the end of the stake. Another idea, make up business card size cards on the computer with the name, and any other info like date etc. Then laminate with a card laminator, then attach to chosen stake. 3/8" wood dowels make great stakes as long as plant isnt too heavy, could wrap a section of colored 2" tape on top of the dowel and mark that with sharpie.

I buy plant marker tags but when I was cheap I would cut up old window blinds.
I use pencil and then marker over top. If the marker fades, the pencil remains

You can also use fast food containers cut into 4"X 1/2" strips write info with a sharpie lasts for hole season. I have a friend that runs a print shop that makes a lot of signs with thin plastic cuts all his scrap into 1/2" strips, it's free for the asking works for me.

Free = Good!

Our milk comes in plastic 2 liter containers, and I cut these into strips which I punch a hole into and affix with zipties to either a stake or a cage if the plant is sprawling. Always a good idea to affix a second, smaller marker directly to the plant, unless you have no kids, dogs or other troublemakers around...Use indelible marker, obviously. Otherwise use a numerical code with fingernail polish. ;)

BTW, Some plants have a tendency to break a bough off when you lift it in search of fruit, and these are definitely worth caging.

For the rest, I stake 100% of the time, having had more than a few plants simply fall over under the weight of their laden boughs.

To mark what every I use , like Cheif Potawie , from the northern Kapowie tribe, I use pens that the ink doesn't fade and are made to use on plant tags. Sharpies fade !!! Don't trust them no matter what they say about being a "Permanent Marker ".

Peace,
P. Dreadie

I use plastic picnic knives and I use a Sharpie to write on BOTH sides. It cheap, works like a charm, and everyone has a stack laying around the house

POTAWIE said:
I buy plant marker tags but when I was cheap I would cut up old window blinds.
I use pencil and then marker over top. If the marker fades, the pencil remains

Very good idea, I never thought about pencil. I have been using sharpie marker which i have to constantly trace over because of fadeing

I use regular plant markers and a Sharpie. If someone around here can give me a name on the non-fade ones I would love to pick up a couple of those. I'm thinking white fingernail polish right on the darn containers this year. Doesn't AJ do something like that?

Wood isn't the best thing to use by the way. It tends to rot when it sits in a bucket of wet dirt.

patrick said:
I use regular plant markers and a Sharpie. If someone around here can give me a name on the non-fade ones I would love to pick up a couple of those. I'm thinking white fingernail polish right on the darn containers this year. Doesn't AJ do something like that?

Wood isn't the best thing to use by the way. It tends to rot when it sits in a bucket of wet dirt.

Here Patrick, this is the one I used last year, seems to stay very well. Even stays on seed ziplocks were sharpie wipes right off.

http://www.shopatron.com/products/p.../part_number=44101/294.0.1.1.8783.9968.0.0.0?

Patrick, AJ told me that he uses paint pens, thanks to a suggestion from his wife. They are available in the crafts section of walmart, by the beads and craft paint. They work great for marking glasses or pots.

I usually only use markers for containers since I move them around a lot. For the garden I'll draw out a quick sketch on a piece of paper where everything is. A map so to speak. I like having the full overview in front of me and it's handy to have for the next year remembering what grew well in what spots, and for planning which peppers you want in prime sun or drainage areas (if you gardens are inconsistent like mine).

In no time you'll remember what plant is what, but I like you're stake idea since you'll probably be using them anyways.

Wow guys - thanks for all the ideas. We are supposed to get snow tonight so i have another week to figure something out. :(

Back