• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

idosimon's 2012-2013 Hydroponic Indoor Bahamian Goat Pepper SCROG

Time to kick off my very first glog! This is going to be something special and the first time somebody has ever done something like this that is was well documented with plenty of high quality pictures! This glog will be periodical and less comprehensive than my glog over at xPonics, but you can still expect a lot of activity on here!

I'm going to be growing this pepper indoors and hydroponically in my room. The setup I will be using is going to be a DWC bubble bucket with a 250w MH for vegetative and a 250w HPS for flowering.

For those of you who don't know what a SCROG is, it stands for Screen of Green. It is a technique used by cannabis growers with the aim of increasing surface area and leveling the canopy. How one does it is to install a chickenwire screen or make your own screen. You top the plant so that it has many main branches. However, instead of letting it grow bushy, you train the branches up into and around the screen, creating a "screen of green". I'm not going to include pictures of cannabis doing this because it may be NSFW for some people, and I aim to keep this thread SFW. But you can do some googling to get an idea of what I am talking about.

By doing this, one essentially creates an even canopy of (in this case) leaves, since I'm assuming the peppers will grow under the screen. This will allow me to bring the light in closer, giving the plants more energy. Hopefully this will give me a higher yield, but it may just give me larger peppers. I will be using a "U" shape screen for this, to maximize my area in relationship to the usable light I have.

I will keep the plant in a vegetative state until the screen is either 60%-80% full (I haven't decided yet, with cannabis it should be 60% because the plant stretches a lot in flowering but I am unsure how much peppers will stretch in flowering. If anyone has any insight to this, it would be greatly appreciated!)

My parts list is as follows:

1. DWC Bucket (1)
2. Hydroton
3. Rapid Rooters for germination (1)
4. Bahamian Goat pepper seeds (3)
5. Botanicare Pure Blend Pro Grow (1)
6. Botanicare Pure Blend Pro Bloom (1)
7. Superthrive (1)
8. Sunblaze 23" 23 watt T5 6500K (1)
9. 18 watt CFL 6500K with reflective fixture (2)
10. 250 watt MH with reflective fixture and ballast (1)
11. 250 watt HPS with reflective fixture and ballast (1)
12. Ponics Pump (1)(A testing unit graciously provided for me by Zero Mile Farms)
13. Nikon D40x and photoshop (1)
14. iPhone 5 and Snapseed (1)

I think that is all of the components to this grow, but I will update it if I forgot anything.

Now for pictures!!

Here are the seeds, provided to me by windchicken:
h7Y3O.jpg

And here are the sprouted seedlings, as of 12/24:

og0MF.jpg

Looking very cool brother. Bahamaian Goat is probably (even though it grows slowly comparative to annuums etc) the best choice to grow for this type of experiment simply (as windchicken stated) because it is so robust and productive anyway. Looking forward to seeing this experiment move forward in the coming weeks. Nice work!

Looking real good Ido...I have to admire your patience and ambition...I don't think I could have persevered as well as you have...

Just wondering...how about the top that you were trying to root?

Keep us updated....I don't know why the slow growth...Goat is normally one of the most vigorous of the chinense peppers. But it looks real healthy.

Looking very cool brother. Bahamaian Goat is probably (even though it grows slowly comparative to annuums etc) the best choice to grow for this type of experiment simply (as windchicken stated) because it is so robust and productive anyway. Looking forward to seeing this experiment move forward in the coming weeks. Nice work!

Thanks! I'm wondering if I would be able to achieve similar robustness with an annuum by using aggressive topping and pruning techniques.

Looking real good Ido...I have to admire your patience and ambition...I don't think I could have persevered as well as you have...

Just wondering...how about the top that you were trying to root?

Keep us updated....I don't know why the slow growth...Goat is normally one of the most vigorous of the chinense peppers. But it looks real healthy.

The top I was trying to root had some troubles, but there are some small white roots sticking out of the cube. I may try to plant it outside and see what happens, although most likely it will die. I took two more clones and this time I used clonex gel so we will see how that goes.

I think the slow growth could just be genetic diversity from the seeds. I'll see if the seeds I save from the plant will have faster/slower growth. I'll also try to make some crosses with an annuum and see if that affects it.

armac said:
armac, on 27 May 2013 - 1:28 PM, said:
you should have kolas by now.......oops sorry wrong plant, i meant pods
I would but unfortunately due to an aphid infestation all my flowers fell off. On the bright side the canopy has pretty much filled the net by now; I'll try to get pictures up soon.

I have two of these very same plants in the ground—overwinters from the 2012 season, one of which is the seed mother for your plant. For some reason the aphids love them—I almost never see aphids on my outdoor plants. Guess there are too many for the ladybugs to eat...

I'm looking forward to the pix... :P

Sorry guys, its been a while, I kind of got caught up in life and didn't have time to post here. The plant ended up dying in the summer because the aphids kept coming back, which combined with heat stress, made all the leaves drop and the plant to die.

I did plant a kpakpo shito seed in a smartpot and soil and put it outside, and now I've been getting some nice peppers from it. I can't eat them though because I moved to college already so it will be a while before I can continue growing plants.

Thanks for the update. Bummer about the aphids....Hope you keep up the chile gardening.

Most of us here have had our share of failures. Mine never seem to stop—They just change form. But something always comes through to make it all insanely rewarding.

Hey Idosimon, sorry to hear about your plant. It looked killer. You should know that growing in a dorm room is possible. I'm doing it now. I have a DWC bucket, two potted plants, and a 400W HPS to light it all. Let me know if you want to start growing in college. I can't help you in your specific situation, but I can give you some pointers on things I've learned trying to bring peppers to university.

windchicken said:
Thanks for the update. Bummer about the aphids....Hope you keep up the chile gardening.

Most of us here have had our share of failures. Mine never seem to stop—They just change form. But something always comes through to make it all insanely rewarding.

SciurusDoomus said:
Hey Idosimon, sorry to hear about your plant. It looked killer. You should know that growing in a dorm room is possible. I'm doing it now. I have a DWC bucket, two potted plants, and a 400W HPS to light it all. Let me know if you want to start growing in college. I can't help you in your specific situation, but I can give you some pointers on things I've learned trying to bring peppers to university.
Thanks for the kind words guys! Unfortunately I won't be able to grow in my dorm room, but I think the college here has a community garden with a 10'x20' plot of land that I can rent for $35 per year. I'm planning on trying to get a plot and keep growing peppers!

Meanwhile, here are pictures that my dad sent me of my Ghanian pepper plant back home!
DOrWVjz.png

8uWKFW7.png

shqcezx.png

OFIUBBF.png

02fK0Gl.png

Hc6z2rh.png

daEj59x.png

Ate half of one of these and it was intense! Top shelf haha

Back