• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

If You Could Only Grow One Super Hot....

What would it be? I currently have very limited growing space(sadly live in the city at the moment), but I'm really wanting to try a "super hot". I make hot sauce, bbq sauce and cook with them.

My favorite pepper at present is a type of red Habenero, so I'm not looking for the hottest out there, just something that is early enough for my growing season (100 days is really pushing it), fantastic taste, lots of heat and looks wicked. After a bunch of reading I'm thinking Fatalii or 7 pot? but I'm open to sugestions. I would love to just grow one of everything, but I figure after starting all the "milder" peppers for sauce, I should have room for one more variety. Thanks in advance.

I would grow Naga Morich. I love the flavor of the naga morich/bhut jolokia peppers. They have a fairly strong Chinense flavor that finishes with a fruity sweetness. Furthermore, they have a good medium burn as far as superhots are concerned. Finally, Naga Morich plants are prolific producers, so you get a ton of pods compared to other superhots. They have been my best producers this year.

I'm not growing this year but for superhots, next year it will be Trinidad Scorpion from Alabama Jacks seed stock.

My favorite overall are pequin's and I'll be growing those as well.

To round it out, I'll also try my hand at tepin's. Its the official wild chile of Texas as recognized by the state after all.

Clearly you're going to get 100 different answers, since taste is subjective. I would recommend you consider your eating habits. I really love Fatalii, but don't find it quite as versatile as I would like it to be. For example, it's GREAT with pork, chicken, fish and Cheetos, but IMO totally sucks with chocolate. I'm not a huge fan of it with beef, either (I think it's good in combo with other things with beef, but it just doesn't come to the point of excellence, IMO.)

Douglah, on the other hand, is one of my go-to peppers for anything. Beef, chicken, fish, pork, chocolate, molasses cookies, cashews, Cheetos, pineapple, pear, apple, etc., etc., etc. I haven't added douglah to anything and though "meh" yet.

Congo Trinidad is also an excellent all-around pepper for the same reasons. I am thinking almost any red pepper would fall into my most-versatile category. Not everyone considers fatalii or congo to be a "super-hot", but both have potential to be hotter than a red hab without going to almost pure heat.

I would have to say Douglah, it has become my favorite superhot. I really like the chocolate bhut as well, but the Douglah seems to be so much more forgiving when it comes to growing.

With the shorter growing season and limited room you may want to stick with a habanero type that will give you many pods during the shortened season. I see you're fond of the red habs. Two that I use regularly are the Caribbean Red and the Congo Red. They both have their place in the sauce making. Why not try the Fatalii or another yellow such as the Burkina which has some nice fire for a hab...
Scorps and small 7/pots are great tasting but really take there time through the grow.
If you can get a jump on the indoor seeding then you may have a chance with the superhots.
Whatever you decide the rule of thumb is the smaller the chili the more production you'll have on any one given plant...

Good luck with your ventures

Greg

That's like asking if I could only pick one car,... Lol j/k Tough Q, But I would probably go with the yellow 7 pot, it has great flavor and seems to grow well in the NW cold summer climate. Not to mention I tried one off my plant and boy did it light me up! :)

I am with megahot. The yellow 7. All the flavor and heat all rolled up into one fat blistering pod :)

IMG_3545.jpg

I may have to take over the whole yard next year. The taste description on the fatalii sounds great, but the 7 pot looks fantastic also. Need to investigate the "Douglah".

I'm probably 90% vegetarian, If I'm eating meat its typically fish or chicken. Big chocolate fan. cold smoked/dried some habeneros last year and they go incredibly well in chocolate cake. I like the idea of something with good all around flavor.

All my peppers get a good indoor start before hand.

I vote 7 pot, Just because its a vary all around super hot. Also lots of varieties come from the 7 pot so you will get to know the origin.

I vote Naga Morich as well. Im just up the road from you and mine has been producing pods since may. It makes the best BBQ sauce IMHO

I've got something for you... if you're feeling lucky.

You should grow a cross I made last season and am growing now: Maya Red Habanero x Bhut Jolokia 'Carbon'. Growing out seeds from what I'm growing now means they'll be F2 and could be all over the place... but one of them ought to combine that early maturity with good production, heat and flavor...

Back