• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Ignite's 2015 Superhot Grow

Introduction:

Now that things have finally slowed down for a few weeks it's time for me to get my 2015 grow log going.  We had a great year in 2014 and spent a lot of time over the winter upgrading our indoor space and searching out some of the rarest superhots being grown today.  We're growing almost 90 varieties this year but I'm only planning on posting about the superhots and other rare strains here.  I'll probably post random shots of the others here and there, but the main focus of this GLOG is the supers.

We grow select types inside in our indoor "lab".  We usually reserve the best of the best for that area and a few months ago I started a GLOG that focused on those plants.  I didn't have time to keep things updated but I'm going to kill that old thread and focus both indoor and outdoor plants in this thread.

Enough with the long talking, here's what everyone wants to see...the list.

Grow List:

-  Borg 9
-  Chocolate Borg 9
-  Bleeding Borg 9
-  Red Lava
-  Yellow Lava
-  Bubblegum 7
-  Chocolate Bubblegum 7
-  Carolina Reaper
-  Yellow Brainstrain
-  Red Brainstrain
-  7 Pot Katie
-  7 Pot Lucy
-  7 Pot Wes
-  7 Pot Primo
-  7 Pot Primo Yellow
-  7 Pot 007
-  7 Pot 007 Orange
-  Bad Brains
-  Chocolate Brazillian Ghost
-  Red Brazillian Ghost
-  Caramel Bhut Jolokia
-  Chocolate Bhut Jolokia
-  Big Bang Naga Chocolate
-  Morugalah
-  Moruga UV
-  CP115
-  Jay's Peach Scorpion
-  Jay's Red Scorpion
-  MA Wartryx

Here are the interesting non-supers that I'll be adding into the GLOG as well:

-  Ice Scream Scorpion
-  Bubblegum 7 x Yellow Jalapeno

Progress:

Our indoor hydro plants were started the last weekend in October and have really started to their stride.  We have bleeding Borg 9s, Chocolate BBG7, Red Lava, and Yellow Lava plants currently producing fruit with some that will to start to ripen in the coming weeks.

Group Shot
hydroGroupShot.jpg

Chocolate BBG7
chocoBBG7.jpg

Bleeding Borg 9
BleedingBorg9.jpg

We started seeds the second week of January and started seeing hooks within a few days.  We ended up with really good germination rates and had around 200 seedlings before we knew it.  A few weeks later we're up to almost 500 superhot plants that are simply thriving under our CMH lights.  

We use grow tents early in the year to help contain heat and to provide a nice micro-climate for the young plants to survive in.  Each tent holds about 200 plants in P86D 3.5" pots.  

seedlingShot.jpg

seedlings_Group2.jpg

Blockbuster.jpg

Since it seems to be one of the hottest types out there right now, here's a shot of a young chocolate Borg 9.  These came from true pheno seeds and are not like the non-true bleeding type.  Those are standard red Borg 9 plants surrounding it.

Borg9_Small.jpg

Here is one of the most unique crosses that we're growing this year.  The Bubblegum 7 x Yellow Jalapeno.  These plants are growing twice as fast anything else that we have and this one is special because it's taking on more traits from the Bubblegum 7.  The other 9 plants we have like this are showing typical Jalapeno traits.  We're going to keep a really close eye on this one.

BBG7_Cross.jpg

I'll snap some more pictures tonight and I'll keep this thing flowing with updates.  We have a few surprises up our sleeves as well, so stay tuned.

If anyone wants to just see the pics or quick updates and currently use Instagram, check us out on Instagram @thepeppergeek.  We're on Twitter @thepeppergeek.  We're on Facebook as well, just search for ThePepperGeek.  I'm not going to post direct links and if anyone has a problem with me mentioning our social network handles just let me know.

Thanks!

Update:

We've had great weather lately so we've been moving the older plants outside in order to get them exposed to the great outdoors.  We start and work in 2 hour increments so it will be a slow process but well worth it.  Within a few weeks these plants will find permanent homes outside.

outdoor_1.jpg

Outdoor_2.jpg

Outdoor_3.jpg

It's always nice to come home and have a 2 month supply of H&G nutes waiting for you.  I don't use half of the stuff they send me but that's okay because we give them away at markets and stuff.  I'm completely phasing out the use of Canna nutes in our hydroponic setups in favor of the H&G so stay tuned for updates.

HG_Nutes.jpg

Thanks!

Scorched said:
Plants are looking healthy. Nice big green leaves
Thanks. I finally took all of the tents down and have the hydro plants loving the "open" air they're getting in the grow room. I changed out the reservoirs last night so they all have a fresh batch of nutrients to feast on for a few days. Hopefully I'll have time to snap some pictures tonight.

We're also getting ready to get the under current system up and running with 4 superhots. I haven't decided yet but I'm thinking about putting a Borg 9, Choco Brainstrain (PL), 7 Pot Katie, and a Carolina Reaper in the system.

Thanks for the views and let me know if there are any questions.

The weather has been gorgeous the past few weeks and I don't remember keeping my plants outside so many days in March before.  I don't know anything about CMH lighting but your plants seem to like it very much and they show it.  I hope you chose a Choco Brain Strain for the full hydro treatment would love to see it's full potential with your high tech garden.  How are the little guys doing, their siblings are really taking off under the MH.  Keep the pics coming Stephen, more people will follow when they see your green thumb.

I second the choc brain strain for the hydro. Would like to see that myself. Close second would be the Borg. Out of 12 seeds I didn't have a single one germinate  :( . They're still in their seed tray and I check everyday but it's been a month now and still no signs of life. I can't complain though. I have some awesome things going in my grow that I never dreamed I'd get my hands on. THP is full of some really awesome folks.

Scorched said:
I second the choc brain strain for the hydro. Would like to see that myself. Close second would be the Borg. Out of 12 seeds I didn't have a single one germinate  :( . They're still in their seed tray and I check everyday but it's been a month now and still no signs of life. I can't complain though. I have some awesome things going in my grow that I never dreamed I'd get my hands on. THP is full of some really awesome folks.

We've been lucky and had great germination rates on all of the Borg seeds we had. The bleeding pheno, non-true type Borg 9 popped at 4 out of 5 and the real red and chocolate Borg seeds germinated at 100%. The true seeds came direct from the UK and were very fresh. They all popped within the first 7 days after planting and have been going strong since. I'm only releasing a small amount of the true pods this year so that I can breed and pick the best specimens for next year.

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
The weather has been gorgeous the past few weeks and I don't remember keeping my plants outside so many days in March before.  I don't know anything about CMH lighting but your plants seem to like it very much and they show it.  I hope you chose a Choco Brain Strain for the full hydro treatment would love to see it's full potential with your high tech garden.  How are the little guys doing, their siblings are really taking off under the MH.  Keep the pics coming Stephen, more people will follow when they see your green thumb.
CMH lighting is funny and nice all in one because it creates these really squatty and bushy plants that are just full of nodes. Most people top their plants and prune to allow light through the canopy to in turn develop bushy node growth, but CMH lights penetrate so deep that topping is not needed. We also feed in small amounts at every watering instead of one large feeding every week or two. It allows the plants to maximize the light we're giving to them and keep up with the rapid growth. We take the same approach in hydro set ups and it works very well.

We'll definitely have a chocolate Brainstrain in hydro along with a Borg 9. It's picking the other two that's getting hard. It'll probably end up being a 7 Pot Katie and Reaper but I'm waiting on some seeds that may change my mind. I'm anxious to get it going but I have to make some changes to the chiller before I press the button.

Thanks again!

Wow...it's been a long time since I did an update so here goes.

We moved the plants outside about 2 weeks ago and starting planting them into pots and in dirt on the farm.  We currently have about half of the plants in dirt that are going on the farm and I have about 25 planted at the house.  We'll have almost 500 on the farm and about a hundred at the house this year once it's all done.  I'm hoping to have all the plants at the farm or in pots at the house by the weekend.  I also spent some time to get the undercurrent DWC system back up and running.  I took a short video of it last night so I hope to get it uploaded and into the GLOG tonight.  All of the plants are looking really good and growing like crazy due to the warm weather we've been having.

A quick shot of me planting on the farm.  I was about 30 minutes into it when my wife starting snapping pictures so I'll get some updated farm pics once we finish planting out there.  I grew up on a farm and have wanted to move back on it ever since we bought a "neighborhood house."  I finally convinced the wife about 6 months ago to move out there so we'll be building a house in the coming months...I can't wait.

Farm_2.jpg

Borg 9 growing at the house.

Borg9_Pot.jpg

7 Pot Katie

Reaper_Pot.jpg

Choco Bhut Jolokia

ChocoJolo_Pot.jpg

Group shot of the house plants

group1.jpg

Thanks for looking and stay tuned for a video tonight.

looking great as usual brah

will be nice to have the extra room in the country eh? i'm hoping to do that someday.

Phenomenal plants so healthy ... just a quick question I am growing both Borg and Borg Chocolate but never heard of Bleeding Borg is this variety showing more traits of the BBG7 in the calyx than the others

A Superhot Jalapeño .... I love it

Amazing grow, Stephen!! Folks, if you've never had his pods, GET SOME!!!! I bought some last season and they were all picture perfect and out of this world! Never had better from anyone. Sky's the limit for you, Stephen!

Trident chilli said:
Phenomenal plants so healthy ... just a quick question I am growing both Borg and Borg Chocolate but never heard of Bleeding Borg is this variety showing more traits of the BBG7 in the calyx than the others

A Superhot Jalapeño .... I love it
The bleeding borg 9 is a non-true Borg 9 type that's being passed around right now. It's basically a spikey BBG7. A true Borg 9 has no calyx like the BBG7. There's alot of non-true types floating around right now that are fun to grow, the bleeding is one of them.

Thanks!

Just look at that big field covered in peppers this fall.  Your plants look exceptional Stephen, the house plants are all perky and seem happy.  The farm is beautiful and I hope some certain plants get a row all to themselves.  I have been on vacation and going to the Masters this weekend so behind planting up this year.  Can't wait to come out and visit the farm when it is all full production, good luck with the rest your plant out.  Nice GLOG, more pictures and video!

I wasn't able to get a video edited and uploaded last night, so I'm hoping to get something done today.  We'll be putting a Choco BS, Borg 9, MA Wartryx, and a 7 Pot Katie into the undercurrent system tonight so it should make the video a little more interesting.  I'm also planning on making a trip out to the farm to see how the plants are doing.  We were supposed to get rain the past three days and haven't gotten a drop, so hopefully their doing okay.  

@Cappy I'm probably going to end up with 10 Choco BS plants on the farm and 5 at the house, at least that's the plan.  I want to keep a close eye on them to ensure they're good and healthy all throughout the year.  I'll keep you updated on the progress.  They're all very healthy right now and exploding with new growth.

Nice list.  Looks like tons of heat there.   Your plants look amazing and having all the land to work with is so nice.  Good luck.  If you sell some of those pods this fall like meinchoh said you had in the past, would love to get some of those.

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
Just look at that big field covered in peppers this fall.  Your plants look exceptional Stephen, the house plants are all perky and seem happy.  The farm is beautiful and I hope some certain plants get a row all to themselves.  I have been on vacation and going to the Masters this weekend so behind planting up this year.  Can't wait to come out and visit the farm when it is all full production, good luck with the rest your plant out.  Nice GLOG, more pictures and video!
Nice score on masters weekend.  Those are hard to come by, wish I was going.  Hope its not over before you get there.

newril said:
awsome grow! I wish it was mine :)
Couln't have said it better myself.

Lol I'd do the same thing with Choc BS. I'd keep em as close as possible and probably check em every fifteen minutes. Hope Judy's stabilization is coming along so it gets released soon along with her Choc Lava. Haven't heard from her lately.

I had no idea the bleeding Borg was not a desired/true pheno until Rob mentioned it a few nights ago. I knew there were three types. Still an awesome looking pod. Looking forward to the vid. 

Well...it's been a long time since the last update, so here we go with a small but important one.

Things at the farm have finally started to take off after a few weeks of being in limbo.  They're back to growing at a fast pace and seemingly love the environment now.  Most of the farm plants are loaded with pods and the milder ones should start ripening up pretty soon.  I thought I had pics on my phone of the farm but they're on my wife's phone along with the other bazillion pictures she seems to carry around with her.

Now, the important stuff is happening at the house!  The supers are growing nicely and we're starting to see color on some of the hydroponic plants.  The Borg 9s, 7 Pots, and a couple of the crosses have started taking off and are loaded at every node with pods.  I'm hoping to start shipping pods in a few short weeks, so I hope you guys are ready for some heat!

Pics:

7 Pot Katie is starting to show her nasty side...I can't wait to see how these things turn out.

7Pot_Katie.jpg

Katie's sister Lucy is also coming along nicely, although at a little slower pace

7Pot_Lucy.jpg

Our MA Wartryx plants are coming along as well and have started producing a good amount of beautiful shaped peppers.

MA_Wartryx.jpg

These Chocolate Bubblegum 7 pods are some of the biggest Bubblegum pods we've ever had.  These are much larger than the red version we had last year and will continue growing this year.

Choco_BBG7.jpg

Here is a one of our "Brazillian" Chocolate Brainstrain pods from one of our hydro plants.  These are supposed to be slightly different from Judy's / Cappy's version, but we'll see once it gets bigger.  These pods are growing fast.

BrazChocoBS.jpg

Lastly...here is an un-named cross that we have growing this year.  These should be very gnarly pods with more than enough heat if they turn out correct.

UBC.jpg

Thanks!  I'll see if the Borg 9s are feeling photogenic when I get home.  Stay tuned!

Back