• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Imidacloprid...

Hi,

I have some nasty indoor aphids problem each year due to the lack of predator.

Tried many THP solution last one was neem oil...aphids we're laughing and came back in force.

I know this stuff is like shooting a bug a point blank range but I'm reaching a point that I'm loosing my mind!!!

What's your thought on this systemic pesticide (indoor use,grow tent)?

I planned to put in my nute reservoir at very low concentration for a short time.

Thanks!

It's fine as long as you follow the pre-harvest interval which should be listed on the package. Any systemic pesticides should be a last resort in my opinion. If your plants are in a non fruiting stage though, that is more than enough time to kill all life cycles of aphids and still be safe for consumption once you start getting pods set.

Edmick said:
It's fine as long as you follow the pre-harvest interval which should be listed on the package. Any systemic pesticides should be a last resort in my opinion. If your plants are in a non fruiting stage though, that is more than enough time to kill all life cycles of aphids and still be safe for consumption once you start getting pods set.

I'm at the seedling stage because I've thrown everything outside in the cold to die.

I'm asking because I know they will come back ... they always come back each time.

What stage should I do it? 

Do it once when the plants is "adolescent" ? Or wait until the plant is in the adult stage to prevent shock?

Why does imidacloprid has a bad reputation here (beside bees issue outside)? It is used almost in every fields right now.

Sorry for so many questions...post on TPH are rather short on the pesticide subject and more like DON'T...but why?

ELCouz said:

I'm at the seedling stage because I've thrown everything outside in the cold to die.

I'm asking because I know they will come back ... they always come back each time.

What stage should I do it? 

Do it once when the plants is "adolescent" ? Or wait until the plant is in the adult stage to prevent shock?

Why does imidacloprid has a bad reputation here (beside bees issue outside)? It is used almost in every fields right now.

Sorry for so many questions...post on TPH are rather short on the pesticide subject and more like DON'T...but why?
The reason it has a bad reputation is because people don't want to ingest pesticides. I use it on my lawn, rose bushes, trees and shrubs with the thinking that if I can control the population on the rest of my property, that it will keep the population in control enough so they don't infest my edible plants. It works to a point but I still find them on my peppers in small numbers but I can usually keep them in check with insecticidal soap and neem. Since yours are indoors though, A one time treatment should be enough to wipe them out totally. Treat the outside too. Those little bastards will always find a way inside. I'm a firm believer in treating the entire environment and not just the plants that you happen to see them on.

Edmick said:
The reason it has a bad reputation is because people don't want to ingest pesticides. I use it on my lawn, rose bushes, trees and shrubs with the thinking that if I can control the population on the rest of my property, that it will keep the population in control enough so they don't infest my edible plants. It works to a point but I still find them on my peppers in small numbers but I can usually keep them in check with insecticidal soap and neem. Since yours are indoors though, A one time treatment should be enough to wipe them out totally. Treat the outside too. Those little bastards will always find a way inside. I'm a firm believer in treating the entire environment and not just the plants that you happen to see them on.

Thanks & Happy Holidays! :)

hogleg said:
Flonicamid seems less toxic IMO and specifically targets aphids.

Do you have a generic or product name to look for? Search result on google about Flonicamid is more about research than real products.

Thanks guys! :)

i like pyrethrin.
you must kill the adults and larvae, and new hatchlings. if you only do 1 treatment then sure they will come back.

hogleg said:
Flonicamid seems less toxic IMO and specifically targets aphids.

A systemic that works against the worst villains, yet is thousands of times less toxic to bees and other beneficial than imidacloprid, etc.

:surprised:

Back