• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Immature Pods Falling Off - Help???

I have a Jalapeno plant that looks like it is doing great... The bloom forms, the flower drops off leaving an immature pepper and it begins to grow... Most of the pods are maturing normally... However, I am loosing about 2 immature pods a week... They always seem to detach where the pepper stem meets the plant's stalk... If the pepper gets bigger than a BB, it seems to be ok and continues to grow... All of the dropped pods are BB size or smaller... It almost looks like some type of rot since the stem narrows down on the end and is sort of translucent at the break point...

The plant in question:
DSCN0224_zps91dv58yc.jpg

The soil is compost, sand and peat moss... It drains well and I don't water it until is starts looking wilted, which was about every 2 or 3 days... Although it has been raining a LOT in the afternoons this last week, the problem began several weeks ago... The plant is in the full sun about 50% of the day and that is in the morning before the afternoon rains...
I sprayed the tub with Insect Killing Soap to kill some ants, but almost exclusively on the outside of the tub and it was after the dropping started... I have also checked the plant several times a day and at least once each night for any type of bugs...

My only thought at this point is that it is staying damp all night long until the sun comes up the next morning to start drying up the moisture from the previous afternoon's rain...

Anyone have any thoughts or ideas???
Thanks for reading this and any help in advance!!!

That plant looks leggy. Needs more light. Also, it is early in the growing cycle and the plant isn't that large yet. The plant will only keep as many fruits on it as it can support. Dropping flowers and dropping baby set fruits at this stage of the season is pretty normal in my experience.

suchen said:
Might be a calcium deficiency. I would give her a water with the ol' Cal-Mag Plus or calcium nitrate. Peppers love calcium, especially during fruit set and growth.

I should probably feed it some nutrients, so I will pick some up this week and give it a dose... Thanks!!!
Are you going to the Pepperfest on Sunday the 26th???

PepperWhisperer said:
That plant looks leggy. Needs more light. Also, it is early in the growing cycle and the plant isn't that large yet. The plant will only keep as many fruits on it as it can support. Dropping flowers and dropping baby set fruits at this stage of the season is pretty normal in my experience.

I was wondering if it might be normal for a pepper plant to regulate its production of fruit, but I have never watched my other plants as close as I am my peppers...
Unfortunately, I am going to have to try hard to find a spot on my property that gets more than about 6 hours of sun per day or I may have to cut down some branches to open up the woods around my house...

Thanks for your help!!!

Back