• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

In ground garden suggestions

So I finally have a back yard big enough to do an in ground garden this year, along with my standard veggies I want to do a fairly large pepper planting and have dedicated about 150 square feet for peppers. my main questions are how many plants should I be able to fit in that space, and what are the must haves for the peppers varieties? And I know most of ya are gonna ask what do I like for peppers, so here's the answer, I will try any of them minimum of once :twisted:

Location is SE GA, soil is fairly sandy, in spots, is there anything I should add to it when I get the tiller out and break ground on the new garden plot?

wont hurt to add some organics to the soil, you can add compost or leaf mold to build your soil up... As to how many plants can you fit in 150sq feet, well it depends on which types of pepper plant you choose cause some can get to 5' x 5'... So choose wisely...

Put some compost and/or quality mulch down now so it has some time to kill off any existing top cover and start integrating into the soil before spring. I have had good luck using composted cow manure as a pre-planting amendment. Use about 1-2 lb per sq ft (4-7 bags for your space) depending on how weak the soil is. Make sure you get the good stuff, pure composted manure, not "manure with compost". If you are really enterprising, you can take a sample of your soil down to your county ag extension and have it tested and they will tell you all kinds of stuff about it like nutrient deficiencies, ph, etc. Sand can be both good and bad as a base. It drains well, but if there aren't enough organics it won't hold moisture. If you can dig up a shovel full and see one or two worms you should be in good shape (though it is probably too cold to do this experiment right now).

150 sq ft is a ton of space, you will have more peppers than any human can eat. Make your rows narrow enough that you can reach into the center from both sides without stepping into the planted space. I like to set my plants in groups of 3 about 8-12" apart so as they grow up they make a little clump that lets the plants support each other in high winds. Space clumps about 4 feet apart, more or less, depending on the expected size of the adult plants. Other people like to grow a single plant every 3-4' to give each individual plant more space to try and maximize yield. YMMV.

As for varieties, I like to always have some Thai or Goats Weed on hand. I like to make sauces with Tabasco varieties (Tabasco also loves the heat and are huge producers). Every year I toss in whatever else sounded good when I was buying seed. Superhots can be heartbreakers, but it is very satisfying if you can get some exotic pepper to yield ripe pods.

Good luck!

P.S. If you are planning on any superhots, you should start your seeds indoors now and transplant in the spring to get a head start since they take forever to germinate.

Thanks for the replies guys, I am gonna build a small make shift green house on my back deck to get things started since I have no room indoors to jet a jump start on the supers. figure if I stick a space heater in it it should keep the frost away if we even get any more, been low of around 40-50* last couple weeks, will probably drop a bit lower here and there, but 70s and low 80s by mid afternoon

I keep my rows 3-4 feet apart depending on what varieties are in the row. Most of them I only plant 18" apart in the row. So in a 10x15 space I have usually 5 rows of 7 plants (a one foot buffer as you wouldn't plant right at the fence line). You can crowd them a bit more but this seems to be the sweet spot for me as far as production goes.

Back