• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

In need of some growing tips, please.

Pam said:
Well, you'll certainly have lots of green growth with the Miracle Grow, but lower fruit production.

Interesting thought. At this point, they're just out of the ground....too soon to think about pruning. As for a soil change...any suggestions to boost yield? As a med student, I don't really have time to mix my own soil or seek to hard to find that perfect blend of soil.

What commercially available soils are more conducive to higher fruit production?

And...back to the pruning idea....any thoughts? Will it make my plants bushier? If so, what is the ideal pruning regimen?

BTW, thanks for all of your input...and everyone else's as well.

staffing said:
And...back to the pruning idea....any thoughts? Will it make my plants bushier? If so, what is the ideal pruning regimen?

I had to prune a few of my young ones due to cold damage earlier this season. I lost several leaves near the base and partial leaves which I trimmed with scissors. I noticed that those plants slowed their growth but were sprouting side shoots from the nodes where the leaves were missing. Not very scientific I know. Maybe if you have a lot of plants you could experiment on one of them first?

Pruning the tops will result in shorter, bushier plants.

Pruning the bottom limbs will result in taller, tree-like plants.

This works almost universally for plants as far as I'm aware. It causes a redistribution of auxins(growth hormones) which are concentrated in the growth tips. If you cut the tips off, the the bottom starts growing up and out.

Back