Indigo Imp

I was at a Cystic Fibrosis (CF) benefit yesterday where we could all watch the Cleveland Clowns (Browns) get slaughtered on 50 different TVs. Without much hesitation, I opted for the 10$ "beer garden" upgrade. This consisted of 4 local breweries showcasing a selection of their brews. Rocky River, Fat Heads, Willoughby, and Indigo Imp. Always curious as to what Indigo Imp tasted like (read numerious reviews, article in the paper, discussions w/ Igg), and it was cat piss. Sour. Their concept of open fermentation for American style beers (pale ale, etc.), mimiccing select Belgium breweries is a poor idea to do in industrial east Cleveland; location of their operations. I'm sure the characteristic smog and rampant bacterias ate their fill, and imparted ultra sour unhappiness in my mouth. I gave my cup to my mother, and returned to Willoughby Brewing Co.'s fill station adjacent to the beer disaster known as Indigo Imp. Sure, they get an A for effort, and originality...but a FAIL in resulting taste. I also got offered [by one of the event organizers who has drank my brews before] to showcase some of my homebrews next year :).

Just curious about the brewery that does the open fermentation... Do you guys normally like soured beers from Belgium? Wild beers are all the rage lately, so I am wondering if that's just not your thing, or if it is done badly. For example, have you guys had real lambics like Cantillon or Hanssens?

Steve973 said:
Just curious about the brewery that does the open fermentation... Do you guys normally like soured beers from Belgium? Wild beers are all the rage lately, so I am wondering if that's just not your thing, or if it is done badly. For example, have you guys had real lambics like Cantillon or Hanssens?

We've both had real lambics and wild ales before. I can't speak for Fr0tran (I think he likes them, but noit sure) but personally I appreciate them for what they are. I do enjoy an accasional real lambic (not that crappy, fu fu, girly beer imitation we have in the States...ugh) and the occasional Wild Ale. They really arn't my bag, but I dig. But they are also a specific style of beer.

Indigo Imp is using wild yeast FOR EVERY STYLE. Blonde Ale, Stout, Winter Warmer. They are trying to craft every style with wild yeasts and it's just crap. I give them props for being creative but it's like a kid trying to make a carboard fort in the rain, it'll never work and is just a bad idea.

And it's not like they are ever going to produce a non-wild beer in that facility because as we all know, once you have those bugs, they are damn hard to get rid of.

You know why Native Americans were pretty much destroyed by European whiskey? No alcohol tolerance. Know why? no native yeasts are any good for making beverages. That science experiment sounds a lot like trying to make your own penicillin by leaving bread in a damp place in your kitchen (like, the bottom of the fridge). Plus, I'd be scared of anything like that developed in an industrial area. I know to much about whats in the air! bad idea. I would give that Science project an F! I have had "real" lambics, made by American homebrewers who imported the right bugs, if that counts. My ex is one of those. (I miss the brewing room I lost in the divorce). That is some special stuff, and you have to have the taste for it. Perhaps like unto a penchant for Gorgonzola or Roquefort.
Pity, since Indigo Imp is such a cool name!

Steve973 said:
The idea is cool. I hope to try one sometime.

It's not bad to try. Some people actually think it's not that bad; supposedly their porter is better than their pale. I thought it was a cool/hip idea when I first heard about it myself.

I have been reading a bit about wild yeasts recently. In my opinion its like going back in time 3000 years.
Yeasts have been isolated for their performance since the dawn of time, if there were any wild yeasts with any real benefits I am sure they would be in a packet in your local home brew shop.
I would love to think that there is a super yeast out there with magical properties, but I don't think so.
BTW
great observation about the tolerance of the original Americans, I hadn't thought about that!

Back