• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Indoor grower from Europe

Good day, fellow pepperheads!

My name is Gabriel, 23 yo from Romania, first year serious grower

Been reading this awesome forum for about a year or so, this is the first time i've decided to go a step beyond and show you in return, what i am growing.
I think this glog will be a bit different, since i am only growing indoor (tried outdoor, failed miserably) in a not so sunny balcony; i don't have more than 1-2 hours of direct sunlight a day

Tried to grow flowers, but didn't find that very interesting nor rewarding. Peppers on the other hand... man, you got all that amazing colours and shapes... it's mindblowing! Chocolate habs, purple tigers, bishops crown etc. are trully wonders. Edible wonders!

Anyways, will post more chit-chat later on, here is my grow list (not too many varieties since they are quite hard to find here in Ro):
1)Scotchbonnet red+yellow+orange
2)Jalapeno orange
3)Habanero red
4)Mushroom red+yellow
5)Golden cayenne
6)Royal black
7)Bishop's crown
8)Pretty in purple
9)Bird's eye

So, 12 plants in total. I hope they all grow true since i bought seeds from a guy with no feedback. But i'm optimist, so far they're looking great;

I planted them ~1february in cups, moved them to those DIY pots as they became to big for cups
Soil is regular plants/flowers potting soil mixed with some perlite. No fertilizers have been used so far

Here are some photos, will try to update once a week

JsyYanH.jpg
 - Habanero
37lMnCR.jpg
 - Bishop's crown
jJL2Mlx.jpg
 - puny Jalapeno ^^
eXNbcTo.jpg
 - Scotchbonnet red
gBDPI1I.jpg
 - Pretty in purple
xcm1kjJ.jpg
 - Royal black
2ttgXCp.jpg
 - Bird's eye, really bushy fast grower
XeGbzmQ.jpg
 - Scotchbonnet orange
PNi7g1W.jpg
 - Mushroom red, this is my monster so far, it's on steroids!
bq4tnha.jpg
 - general overview of about half my babies
Hope you enjoy guys!

In the ending i want to thank all the posters on THP for sharing all their wisdom on this wonderful and exciting hobby we all share; my plants wouldn't have been this healthy/beautiful without your experiences!

Welcome to The Hot Pepper from a grower in South Carolina. Glad you've joined us. We have some other fine members from Romania. Your plants look good.

Tom

Ohjay said:
Looking good!
How big are those containers?

Good luck on this years grow!

Thanks and the same to you! Those containers are not very big since space is limited, they were initially 5 litre water bottles, which i removed the upper part, so let's say 3.5 liters are left
Do you think the plants could use something bigger?
Also, in general, do peppers prefer taller but 'slimmer' containers or wider/lower ones?

kentishman said:
Welcome to The Hot Pepper from a grower in South Carolina. Glad you've joined us. We have some other fine members from Romania. Your plants look good.

Tom

Thank you Tom, glad to find such a friendly community

az1000 said:
Salut
Bine ai venit.
Chiar ai ce invata de aici.
Plantele arata bine si cred că sunt soiurile corecte.

Multumesc cat, bine v-am gasit

kepab said:

Thanks and the same to you! Those containers are not very big since space is limited, they were initially 5 litre water bottles, which i removed the upper part, so let's say 3.5 liters are left
Do you think the plants could use something bigger?
Also, in general, do peppers prefer taller but 'slimmer' containers or wider/lower ones?
You can use as big (or small) containers as you want. I know of some people who have used 1 litre containers and still gotten quite a few peppers.
The bigger the container, the bigger the plant, the more fruit you get(generally speaking).
I use mostly 3 litre containers and it works for me. If I had more space I would grow in bigger containers though(I have two 6 litre containers and the size difference of the plants is huge!).

I've used both slim and wide containers and have not seen much difference to be honest and I doubt it affects the plant.
I tend to use slim & tall containers due to space constraints.

Ohjay said:
You can use as big (or small) containers as you want. I know of some people who have used 1 litre containers and still gotten quite a few peppers.
The bigger the container, the bigger the plant, the more fruit you get(generally speaking).
I use mostly 3 litre containers and it works for me. If I had more space I would grow in bigger containers though(I have two 6 litre containers and the size difference of the plants is huge!).

I've used both slim and wide containers and have not seen much difference to be honest and I doubt it affects the plant.
I tend to use slim & tall containers due to space constraints.
Thanks Jay for clearing that out for me!! Container size seems to be an eternal struggle for us, indoor growers.
I will also further abuse your knowledge with a question: have you heard anything regarding transparent containers (like the ones i have)? Could the sun damage the roots?

mT3I2QY.jpg

This is a habanero that i brought to my workplace. Lots of sun for this guy so i think it will do better than the one i have home; small pot tho'

I couldn't say for sure. I do think I read something about clear containers not being good for the roots(risk of sun damage), but don't take my word for it.
Ask in the Growing Hot Peppers forum about it and I'm sure the even more knowledgeable people will tell you :)

i'm new to growing so I have to real experience yet, but from what I've seen around the forum, people in clear containers(usually clear fountain drink cups) tend to wrap their cups in paper to keep out light.

good luck!

Back